Re: [gthomas] Re: context of GOT

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2000
      joe lieb wrote:
      > The question of how many Jews there were in the audience of Mathew or of Thomas does not interest me. Rather I am trying to understand what sort of person the preacher was aiming at. It seems to me that 'Thomas' was deliberately trying to impress the contemplative type of person. Such people can be found amongst Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Moslems, animists and atheists but rarely form a majority in any given crowd.

      Perhaps a factor that causes much misunderstanding of GoT is our only
      complete
      text being found in a gnostic context. The tendency, therefore is to
      interpret various logia as gnostic. I would claim that GoT is an
      ascetic
      work that could easily have fit, neutrally, in a gnostic library. I wont
      argue an occasional gnostic "tweak" in the verbiage of Coptic Thomas but
      I would not identify GoT as a gnostic text. Its asceticism, therfore,
      would have me agree with your statement.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...

      http://www.historian.net