Re: [gthomas] May I introduce myself

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2000
      Rick Hubbard wrote:

      > didymus84@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I believe Matthews gospel to be indeed universal in intent. The
      > > parable of the tenants and the parable of the wedding banquet both
      > > illustrate this universality. In Matt27:46 the author translates
      > > Yeshua's Aramaic into Greek. If the readers were all Jews, there
      > > would be little need for this translation from the lingua franca of
      > > even the Jews of the Dispersion. Secondly, the Great Commission
      > > orders them to "make disciples of all nations" not just the Jews.
      >
      > + This statement assumes first of all that the dying words of Jesus
      > reported here are actual utterances of Jesus. If they are, why are they
      > so radically different from the last words reported by the other gospel
      > writers? More likely, these words are a literary device of the author to
      > echo LXX Ps 22.1 in the context of the Passion Proclamation. To the
      > extent that the audience knew Ps 22.1, they knew it in Greek (from the
      > LXX) not in Aramaic, therefore what the author is doing is translating
      > from Greek INTO Aramaic.
      > In other words, he does so for the benefit of those who spoke in the
      > Aramaic vernacular, not the other way around.

      I do not believe the Matthean scribe is translating anything in his gospel
      from a semitic language to Greek. I am convinced he was not competent
      in Aramaic. The Aramaisms of Matthew are easily transmitted from a
      translational Greek source document. His dependence on the LXX for his
      creative and often thin midrash also casts doubt on his Hebrew competence.

      Certainly he was a Jew..an Hellenistic Jew, probably from Antioch and
      his audience were Greek-speaking Jews that Judeans regarded only slightly
      above gentiles. This author may be writing in response to either:

      Seeing gentile participation in the "way" increasing and diaspora Jewish
      participation decreasing, or;

      The issuance of the Birkhat haMinim in 85CE...or both

      and this scribe is saying "Hey! This is a Jewish thingy!"

      Matthews version of the Cry from the Cross is nothing more than
      his screwing up the language and mixing Hebrew and Aramaic but his
      source is Mark.

      I believe the cry from the cross is historical and Mark recorded it from
      an eye/ear witness.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...