Re: [gthomas] Saying 19 and the use of "Five"

  • Kanefer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2000
      tjbtech wrote:<<Five tends to appear in various ancient scripture. The
      Yogasutras of Patanjali lists five thought streams and five
      spiritualafflictions.>>

      Let's not forget that we have five fingers on each hand, and five senses
      also. We need not go so afar off to find number five. Five is right here,
      yet we prefer maybe to search for it far far from us. Like searching heavens
      and seas for Kingdom....? :-)

      I do think that the number of trees simply refers to number of certain
      disciples Jesus was talking to.

      Sincerely, Patti
    • Jim Bauer
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2000
        There was a previous bout of discussion on the "five trees" where it was
        hypothesized that they may have been drawn from the Odes of Solomon. As for
        this particular saying I believe it is one of the most crucial ones as twice
        Jesus refers the reader back to "shall not experience death" and the opening
        passage is a "Blessed are the" statement, something Jesus spontaneously
        uttered and some of which were subsequently edited together in the Sermon on
        the Mount.

        Jim Bauer