[gthomas] Re: Saying 97

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 1998
      "......perhaps the KOG would
      be more "at hand" and more "within" and more relevant, and less diluted and distant.....

      Shalom,
      Lisa Grant -------------------------------------------

      Nice to hear a woman's view on logion 97, after all the KOG is like a WOMAN who was carrying a jar full of meal. Lisa welcome to this young e mail list.

      Paul Miller

    • Stevan Davies
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 1998
        > 97 Jesus said, the [Father's] kingdom is like a woman who
        > was carrying a [jar] full of meal. While she was walking
        > along [a] distant road, the handle of the jar broke and the
        > meal spilled behind her [along] the road. She didn't know
        > it; she hadn't noticed a problem. When she reached her
        > house, she put the jar down and discovered that it was
        > empty.

        I'm glad you included the saying. It's always easier to discuss
        things when they're included in the email.

        Thoughts:

        As usual in Thomas the Kingdom is like a person. The
        woman is not "at fault" here. Repeatedly (in a rather Markan
        reiterative fashion) we hear that she did not know what was
        happening.
        She didn't break the jar, it just broke.
        < She didn't know it;
        > she hadn't noticed a problem.
        > When she reached her
        > house, she put the jar down and discovered that it was
        > empty.

        It's an event of discovery though, like the pearl and treasure
        and fish. Instead of "Oh, wow!" I suppose the reaction would
        be "Oh, damn!" Instead of "get rid of everything else and keep
        what you discover" the response has to be "go do it all over
        again." But the common element remains the shock of
        discovery. So the kingdom is like a person who has that
        sort of shock of discovery experience.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 1998
          People - please do not copy the entire message you're responding to! I know
          it's easier, but it's not necessary, and it only makes more work for the
          reader having to peruse the whole thing. This is especially true now that
          we're getting advertising tacked onto our messages, and now that some folks
          are sending HTML stuff. So, please, just cut and paste the part of the
          message you're responding to. Thanks.

          Mike
          ------------------------------------
          Resources for the Study of NH Codex2
          http://www.geocities.com/athens/9068

        • ekklesia@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 1998
            thanks for the warm welcome!

            Heart Disease. Family Medicine. ADD. Arthritis. Asthma. Neuroscience. Hundreds of expert human guides to lead you through thousands of topics. Explore The Mining Co. http://offers.egroups.com/click/195/0

          • ekklesia@worldnet.att.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 1998
              okay already!

              Mike Grondin wrote:

              > People - please do not copy the entire message you're responding to!
              > [snip]

              > So, please, just cut and paste the part of the
              > message you're responding to. Thanks.
              >
              > Mike

            • Mats Winther
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 1999
                Concerning logion 97 I would like to point out the saying from the
                Hebrew (Ebionite) Gospel: The Saviour said: "Now my mother, the holy
                spirit, took me by one of my hairs and carried me to the high mountain
                Tabor."
                This tallies with an interpretation of the jar as a person of light
                who is carried by the holy spirit (i.e. a woman who is the mother).
                This may also point at a possibility that Jesus understood the holy
                spirit as a person of feminine gender.
                I have pondered the question of why the woman is unconscious of the
                fact that the jar is leaking. The leaking can be understood as the
                suffering of a person of light. The leaking is when his blood (i.e.
                the meal) pours down on earth. Jesus may have experienced his life as
                continous suffering. Although he was securely carried by the mother,
                this female person must have been unconscious of the suffering,
                otherwise she would take measures to stop the bleeding and mend the
                wound. Why this unconsciousness must exist is yet another mystery in
                the divine drama. But this may at least enhance the understanding of
                the suffering of Christ on the cross and his lamentation "...My God,
                my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Mat 27:46).

                ---------------------
                I'm sorry that I repeat myself from here on but I want to repeat some
                of my views on logion 97 for new participants:
                We can look upon it within the context of the sayings where he speaks
                about the light: (Logion 24) "...There is light within a person of
                light, and it shines on the whole world. If it does not shine, it is
                dark." (Logion 77) "..I am the light that is over all things. I am
                all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained.

                So the meal may be understood as more or less the same as the light
                which a person of light shines on the world during his lifetime. One
                can understand this as the Son returning to the Father after his
                mission on earth. So a jar spilling meal over the world has a
                symbolical resemblance to a lamp that "spills" light over the world.
                The latter conception occurs in the Gospel as sayings of Jesus e.g.
                Luk 11:36: "If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no
                part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright
                shining of a candle doth give thee light."

                What seems to occur is that a person of light "breaks" and because of
                this leaks the white light upon the world. This, of course, is true
                about Christ. He suffered while on earth, and while crucified he was
                penetrated with a lance so that his blood poured out on earth. The
                notion of breaking is obvious in the case of the breaking of the bread
                (to Jesus a very important conception). In John 6:51 Jesus says: "I am
                the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this
                bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my
                flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."
                A loaf of bread can be seen as a receptacle of meal. The loaf must be
                broken and distributed to the people. This is similar to the breaking
                of the jar which causes the spiritual meal to leak out upon the world.
                But the breaking entails suffering. It seems to imply that a wound has
                to be inflicted in order for the light to leak out from a
                light-person.

                What is very curious in this parable is that the woman carries on
                unconscious of the fact that the jar is leaking. This may be how Jesus
                experienced his life as a person of light. He feels like a receptacle
                of spirit that continously pours forth like a fountain of light. But
                in some way he is passive. He is carried by the unconscious woman and
                has no other choice than to carry out his Father's will by suffering
                and spreading the grace of God upon earth. So the unconscious woman
                then, could be interpreted as the unconscious psyche. The immense
                power of the unconscious is carrying him through life and takes him
                back to his Father's house. This is true about any person of light.

                I think that saying 97 is an amplification of this conception of the
                person that shines light from within. This light is food for the soul
                i.e. meal. But in this parable Jesus expands on the subject and
                introduces the element of suffering (breaking) and also how he himself
                feels as a person of light, i.e. that he is carried by the unconscious
                woman. So in a way he feels like a child who is carried by his mother.
                Perhaps he wants to convey his own complete feeling of security i.e.
                how a light-person will feel when two becomes one. And when the river
                of living water finally ceases to flow from his interior he will
                arrive at his Fathers house. But the Father is the Great Spirit
                himself, i.e. the source of all rivers of living water.

                We also know from depth psychology of a process called
                'individuation'. When this is invoked the individual has the
                experience of being carried by a strong current towards a goal which
                have been denoted 'the self'. The carrying current is called 'the
                collective unconscious' and is with men personalized as the feminine
                figure of the anima. So, psychologically speaking, logion 97 is
                comprehensible and must have been expressed by a person that had
                experienced these things. He actually talks about this unconscious
                woman who is the carrier of the jar that spreads meal over the world.
                These symbols are very potent and to a certain extent comprehensible
                too. With normal persons, when their candles go out they simply die
                and vanish. However, Jesus in logion 97 probably tells us that persons
                who have become "persons of light" are carried away to their Father's
                house. So their candles do not rest on the ground. They are carried
                away and when their candles go out and they die they arrive at the
                eternal life at their Father's house.

                Mats Winther