Five trees

  • Kanefer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7 9:34 AM
      Hi, I'm wondering about this part of Gospel of Thomas. My neighbor said it
      might refer to the Pentateuch, and someone told me it might refer to gnostic
      teachings.
      "For there are five trees in Paradise for you; they do not change,
      summer or winter, and their leaves do not fall. Whoever knows them will
      not taste death."

      Sincerely, Patti
    • Yuri Kuchinsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8 9:58 AM
        On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 Kanefer@... wrote:

        > Hi, I'm wondering about this part of Gospel of Thomas. My neighbor
        > said it might refer to the Pentateuch, and someone told me it might
        > refer to gnostic teachings.

        > "For there are five trees in Paradise for you; they do not change,
        > summer or winter, and their leaves do not fall. Whoever knows them
        > will not taste death."

        Patti,

        In my view this may refer to five baptisms, or perhaps to five seals of
        initiation. In NH texts multiple baptisms are well attested. Here's the
        text with three baptisms,

        [quote]

        On the Origin of the World ("The Untitled Text")

        http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/naghamm/origin.html

        So, too, there are three baptisms - the first is the spiritual, the second
        is by fire, the third is by water.

        [unquote]

        Is there in NH somehere a text with 5 baptisms? I believe such a baptismal
        cycle is attested in gnostic literature elsewhere.

        I also have an article about the baptism of Jesus as seen in NH texts, and
        can post it here later if this is on-topic.

        Regards,

        Yuri.

        Biblical history list http://www.egroups.com/group/loisy - unmoderated

        equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian
      • Didymus5@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2002
          I wonder if my message of June 19 concerning a possible line of thought on
          the Five Trees was ever teceived. Would appreciaate any information.
          Regards,
          Chris Merillat