RE: [gthomas] Adam Reconsidered (Amy)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
      At 12:28 PM 04/06/00 -0700, Amy Clark wrote:
      > We have the advantage of looking back on Adam, either as a historical
      > or symbolic figure, and learning from him, knowing that certain
      > actions could have certain consequences, or cause and effect.

      Actually, I look at the story of Adam and Eve as a sort of early
      Brothers-Grimm children's fairy tale, whose moral is suspiciously akin to
      "obey your father", and whose explanation of how things first started is
      roughly on a par with the stork theory of childbirth. If there hadn't been
      so much thought devoted to it so long after its usefulness and relevance
      had so obviously passed, we wouldn't believe that there could have been.
      The "shelf-life" of an "inspired" book is just unbelievable! I bet Steve
      Davies wishes his books were considered even a little bit as "inspired" -
      then we wouldn't have to go to his website to read his Thomas book. <g>

      >It is vanity for us to ever assume that we can know the
      >true implications of Thomas's words.

      I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it any more "vanity" for us to "assume"
      that we can know the "true implications" of Plato's words - or Paul's? Or
      is it because Thomas declares itself to be esoteric?

      >I believe the objective is to interpret the words so that we can learn from
      >them in our own individual ways, as the ascetics did.

      Again, I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean that GThom was written
      with the specific intent of causing folks to puzzle over it? Both Robert
      and I would probably agree with you on that. In fact, we had a discussion
      of this issue back around Jan 20th. You may want to look it up in the
      back-messages at eGroups.