Re: [gthomas] Androgynous Adam

  • Kanefer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 31, 2000
      In a message dated 3/31/00 3:38:13 PM, Mike Grondin wrote:
      <<In the beginning, all was spirit. In the end, all will be
      spirit again. In the meantime, all of us human critters who are
      combinations of flesh and spirit, should yield to the (holy) spirit
      which is in us, and follow *its* dictates rather than the dictates of
      the flesh (with which it is naturally and always at war!) In that way,
      we can become (virtual?) members of "the kingdom" while we're
      physically alive, so that our spirits (or souls) will become (actual?)
      members of the kingdom after our physical death, and forever.>>

      I think this is good analysis all the way through. There is that scripture
      in 1 Corinthians, 6:16-17, that maybe helps with thought of neither the male
      male & neither the female female. Because, after "joining with" God one is
      female or male in form, but not in spirit.
      Was thinking, on some level, Adam & Eve were already "married" in sense that
      they first existed as one flesh, then were riven. This theme of separation
      is echoed in forced departure from Garden.
      In a way, thinking of them as already "one flesh" - it is as if they were put
      assunder, and as if the creation of Eve itself represents sin - that the sin
      was already committed, and then represented by one flesh becoming "twain."
      Except, it is shown as God having separated the one into two.
      So, maybe, in consideration also of the expulsion from Garden, it is that the
      flesh was separated from the spirit? But it doesn't seem so.
      Adam: Flour & water baked in oven = bread.
      Eve: A part from the bread = bread

      So, it appears that the one flesh of the two was put assunder.
      Looking at theme of separation: (God separates light from dark, etc.) God
      separates Adam from Tree of Knowledge, God separates (creates) Eve from Adam,
      Eve separated from Adam by serpent/fruit, couple separated from God by
      awareness of nakedness, (nakedness as opposed to what?), God separates couple
      from Garden... Think there is a secret there.

      It should be kept in mind that Adam in Garden of Eden was not blissfully
      frolicking or walking about holy as "androgynous" spiritual being in
      paradisiacal environment, but tilling fields and tending orchards and taking
      care of animals, good hard work as mere laborer, he was a farmhand. (A
      farmhand sorely in need of a "help meet"). How can this possibly be
      construed as "Kingdom?" Thus, it truly is evident to me that return to
      Beginning cannot be return to Adam!

      Sincerely, Patti
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2000
        At 02:40 AM 04/01/00 EST, Kanefer@... wrote:
        >It should be kept in mind that Adam in Garden of Eden was not blissfully
        >frolicking or walking about holy as "androgynous" spiritual being in
        >paradisiacal environment, but tilling fields and tending orchards and
        >taking care of animals, good hard work as mere laborer, he was a farmhand.
        >(A farmhand sorely in need of a "help meet"). How can this possibly be
        >construed as "Kingdom?"

        Well, because you're wrong about that. Adam didn't have to work until the
        Fall. Also, it should be borne in mind that "Androgynous Adam" was not
        (usually?) thought of as _physical_ Adam, but rather as that first
        spiritual image of God which later became the physical Adam and Eve. This
        involves a different reading of Genesis than we're used to.

        Mike
      • Ronald David McCann
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2000
          Patti.
          It seems to me that homo sapiens novus. the new human is asexual because
          Spirit is asexual. The teaching about "neither married or given in
          marriage" alludes to this. The "Making Mary Male" logion in Thomas refers,
          I submit, to the aquisition of spirithood by a female, something those
          blockheads thought was only a male perogative. This saying is surely
          corrective. Any soul can transform into spirit, and if one insists J can
          make her male so she can do it.

          I have a real problem taking this Androgeny debate seriously. Females
          seem to be one step removed from salvation. This, in my view, is nonsense,
          and I reieterate that some of Thomas is garbage.

          It always stuns me that people fail to see that SOULS, whaterever their
          gender physically, are asexual creatures. And so it is when they acquire
          spirithood. The appendages just polarize the identities. What you see
          hanging from your bodies you identify with. But this is your horse. That
          is all it is.

          Thomas, it seems to me, teaches that Souls can become Spirits, and
          thereby become immortal.

          Late Thomas material, I suggest, buys into the immortality of the
          human
          soul. This concept makes the importance of acquiring immortality
          redundant. If you already have it, why quest for it? More garbage.

          Late Thomas is either garbage because it urges us to quest for
          immortality
          when we have already have it or urges upon us a quest for what is already
          attained.

          I suggest that those parts of T that tell us we are smoked unless we
          acquire spirithood are the original. "Seek a place in the Rest lest you
          be eaten."

          Best Wishes

          Ron
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2000
            >Adam didn't have to work until the Fall.

            Apologies to Patti for the above, which was obviously written by my evil
            twin, who took quite a fall himself. Patti reminds me of Gen 2:15 -

            "The Lord God took the Man and put him in the garden to till it and keep it."

            So in Gen 2, Adam was the gardener, even before Eve. (Notoriously, of
            course, Gen 1 tells a different story, or at least a shorter one.) I guess
            then that what made the Eden of Gen 2 a "paradise" (in answer to Patti's
            question) was that all of Adam's needs were provided for. Evidently,
            tending the garden wasn't all that difficult, since the implication of 2:17
            ("cursed is the ground because of you") is that the ground that Adam would
            have to work after his explusion would be quite a bit less fertile ("thorns
            and thistles it shall bring forth to you"). Also, of course, it's at this
            point that death enters the picture ("to dust you shall return"). The fact
            that Adam was made of dust in the first place indicates that the authors of
            Gen 2 took Adam to be already a physical being, albeit an eternal one,
            before the Fall. In any case, I draw attention to the exact description of
            Adam's creation (Gen 2:7):

            "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground,
            and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life,
            and Man became a living being."

            The Greek word 'pneuma', used in Thomas (and multiple other Greek and
            Coptic texts) as part of the phrase 'holy spirit', is of feminine gender,
            and has actually a variety of meanings, including 'wind', 'air', 'breath',
            even 'life'. One can see, then, how natural it was to think of spirit as
            the thing that gave life to the body. Thus, aside from Platonic reasoning,
            spirit is the very essence of life. The wind (or a breeze) could be taken
            as the spirit of God - which explains the symbolism of the Pentecost story.
            There are all kinds of other connections involved with the word 'pneuma'
            (including the likely identification of the Holy Spirit as "the Mother"
            mentioned in Thomas), but I hope I've said enough to redeem myself from
            what my evil twin wrote.

            Note to evil twin: Next time, check your facts, buddy.

          • Kanefer@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2000
              <<Well, because you're wrong about that. Adam didn't have to work until the
              Fall. >>

              Nope - see Genesis 2:15 - "And the Lord God took the man and put him into
              the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it..."

              Sincerely, Patti
            • Robert Tessman
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2000
                >The Greek word 'androgynos' means roughly 'man-woman'. It has to do
                >with containing the essence of *both* sexes, not *neither*. There's a
                >fine line between 'both' and 'neither' which is often crossed in
                >practice, but in theory it's relatively easy to differentiate the two:

                My question is this. Would those who wrote and read Thomas endeavor into
                'theory' enough to make the differntiation? Like the idea of the snake that
                eats its tail, does it anihilate itself or does it become full of itself?
                Does an entity that is both or neither male and/nor female have sex with
                itself or have sex with everybody or even not have sex? I wonder if you are
                not venturing upon an unanswerable question here that was intended by the
                Thomasines at least to remain unanswerable.

                >(1) With respect to physical sexual organs, 'both' would be a
                >hermaphrodite, 'neither' would be a cartoon character or doll with no
                >genitals.

                Or perhaps the idea was that the organs, existant or non existant no longer
                had the effect upon such an ascetic that they do on non-ascetics.

                >(2) With respect to sexual practice, 'both' would be a bisexual,
                >'neither' would be an "asexual" (i.e., a celibate).

                Here I think you leave out the possibility that such a being is united with
                their desire. There is, after all, no need to seek a wife or accidentally
                have children if, so to speak, your Adam is perpetually with your Eve. Now
                if by 'asexual' you mean 'self-contained' I can see this as a possibility
                even for the 'man-woman', yet I would use a term like 'autosexual'. The
                idea being, with reference to the Man of Gen 1, that such a man had
                everything he/she needed to be happy--before the seperation ever occured.
                'Self reliance' and 'independance' are implied here not 'bisexuality'.

                >With this background in mind, and ignoring Crossan's views for the
                >moment, I ask myself whether GTh is talking about 'both' or 'neither',
                >or some confused mishmash of the two. Specifically, when it's claimed
                >that in order to enter the kingdom, one must make it such that "neither
                >the male be male, nor the female female", does that mean:
                >
                >(a) Each sex should be *both* male and female.
                >(b) Each sex should be *neither* male nor female.
                >
                >On a literal interpretation,

                Literal interpretation doesn't seem reasonable. I doubt the author/s of
                Thomas or even the writers of Gen 1 cared to think on this level. I think
                it is by such literalizing that the entire analysis here becomes flawed.
                Should we think that the man-woman or neuter of Gen 1 was such because of
                some concern for literal genetalia? It seems more obvious that the concern
                is for a deeper bond--to 'wax poetic for a moment'-that lovers feel when
                they are seperated by distance and time: that they will not be truely happy
                until *THEY* are together again, not their genitals.

                the male/female stuff in Thomas seems to
                >be of type (b), which would be consistent with celibacy, which in turn
                >would be consistent with world-negation. But "androgynous Adam" is by
                >definition type (a). Thus, there seems to be a logical inconsistency in
                >Crossan's view.

                ...based upon a literalizing of the symbol. In Gen 1 we are dealing with a
                divine Man, He is androgenous not because he possesses both phalus and
                uterus, but because he has everything that he will ever desire contained in
                himself (i.e., a 'herself') Thus there is no reason for this Man to stray
                from God--God had not yet put him to sleep; God had not yet seperated her
                from him.

                Of course I am basing all this upon Freudian-like psychology that assumes
                that every ambition in the male gender, for money and gain, fame or renown,
                that is not meant to satisfy ones survival is for the ultimate purposes of
                winning a mate.

                True Freud is modern-thought, but so too is this literalizing logic.

                One cannot derive both celibacy and androgyny from
                >Thomas, it seems, unless Thomas itself is inconsistent.

                The inconsistency is in your assumption that the Thomasines had the concept
                of literal genitalia in mind when referencing Gen 1. That they even cared
                about what the anatomy of such a figure would be. The idea however is that
                the andro-gynos had no need to desire external things/persons/gains.
                Whether this implied 'celibacy' or 'autoeroticism' and perhaps both may be
                a better question.

                If Thomas
                >recommends celibacy, then it recommends that one be *neither* male nor
                >female, but if Thomas recommends that one return to the state of
                >androgynous Adam, then it recommends that one be *both* male and
                >female. Obviously, it ain't possible to be both 'both' and 'neither'.

                The way you have set the logic up, yes I have to agree with you. The
                literal premise however is where I disagree with you (i.e., if genitals
                exist they must necessarily exist for the purpose of having sex with people
                OTHER than the one who possesses these two genitals, and because this is a
                literal picture we cannot of course imagine that they would exist on the
                androgyne in perpetual union--because that is literally and anotomically
                absurd).

                >The conclusion that I would draw from this line of thinking is the same
                >as was implied in my earlier note: Crossan is just simply wrong about
                >the androgyny thingy. Thomas shows no awareness whatsoever of an
                >androgynous ideal, so one can hardly be inferred from it. Logically
                >speaking, its male/female ideal is not "type-both" (i.e., androgynous),
                >but rather "type-neither". In point of fact, the "beginning" it
                >mentions doesn't seem to be based on any well-thought-out exegesis of
                >Genesis at all, but rather on a sort of simple (Platonic?) duality of
                >spiritual world versus material world.

                But by literalizing the androgyny thingy, you have automatically relegated
                this type to the 'material' world.

                If I can wax poetic for a
                >moment: In the beginning, all was spirit. In the end, all will be
                >spirit again. In the meantime, all of us human critters who are
                >combinations of flesh and spirit, should yield to the (holy) spirit
                >which is in us, and follow *its* dictates rather than the dictates of
                >the flesh (with which it is naturally and always at war!) In that way,
                >we can become (virtual?) members of "the kingdom" while we're
                >physically alive, so that our spirits (or souls) will become (actual?)
                >members of the kingdom after our physical death, and forever. That's
                >what *I* think is meant by Thomas's promise that one can bring it about
                >that one will not "taste death".

                My conclusion is that while the Tomasine ascetics might have practiced
                chastity there is no evidence for the kind of hatred of flesh and hatred of
                genitals that you assume here with your idea of "type-neither". First why
                does a union of male and female necesarily lead us to a literal picture?
                Second, if we cannot conceive of that picture does it mean we should try?
                Or is something else intended with the symbol that does not call into
                question whether the figure likes to have sex with everybody or nobody?
                Rather it seems obvious that a man who is also his female counterpart is
                100% self-reliant, he does not need the world, he/she is a complete person,
                married, and thus immune to the seductions of the world. Why should
                genitals even come into the equation?

                It seems that your logic is based more upon a freek show than any actual
                meaning inherent in Thomas.

                Let me just add another point to all this. Ascetics and Philosophers often
                make their ideal out to be what is opposite their own sex. In Proverps for
                instance you have Wisdom depicted as a female (i.e., this literature was
                directed toward men). This type of teaching of course engages all 'parts'
                of the students in their quest for the ideal. Now when you have ascetics
                who are torn between seeking god and the pleasures of the opposite sex you
                have many ascetics that become ex-ascetics. Unless of course you tell
                them, "look here, what you are seeking, if you attain it, will be as if you
                were perpetually with a woman, united in the act of love. If you stray you
                will never have that. If you have sex with women temporarily it will
                always be temporarily and you will be more unhappy than you are happy. But
                if you seek the kingdom you will not ever disire the opposite sex because
                you will fully possess all that you desire now."

                Robert.