[gthomas] Re: Early date of GOT material

    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 18, 2000
      At 11:59 AM 02/17/00 -0500, I wrote:
      >The one portion of #104 most likely to be a later addition (104.3) is
      >so poorly integrated with the rest as to indicate that THAT is the
      >portion, if any, betraying knowledge of the Synoptics. There we have
      >a rather crude "seam" not evident with respect to the word 'prayer'.

      On further reflection, it now seems to me that 104.3 has an entirely
      different "feel" to it than the conclusion of the Synoptic's tale. 104.3
      has the feel of a common folk-saying to it, rather like "When the party's
      over, then they'll be sorry!" One can easily imagine such a saying being
      used in a variety of situations. But the conclusion of the Synoptic's tale
      has the feel of reworking and forced interpretation to it, the end result
      being a form that seems applicable only to the specific situation of J.
      Whenever was a bridegroom "taken away" from his attendants - as opposed to
      leaving voluntarily? Never, I would think - unless one is trying to tailor
      a common saying to fit a specific "bridegroom" who was in fact "taken
      away". STM that either Thomas saw through this obvious Synoptic tailoring
      and discarded it, or (more likely) Thomas preserves pretty much the
      original form of a folk-saying that was later "cut-to-fit" by the Synoptics.

      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 18, 2000