[gthomas] Re: Liege Harmony

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2000
      At 01:19 PM 02/09/00 -0500, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote to Steve Allison:
      >You say you downloaded a copy of Diatessaron from the Net? But this may be
      >a very old edition/translation put out ca 100 years ago.

      Since I don't know how long it'll take Steve to respond, I'll tell you what
      he wrote me, and what I've since discovered. The text that Steve downloaded
      is an 1895 King James English translation by one Rev. Hope W. Hogg, B.D.,
      from an Arabic translation published in 1888. The text is at:

      This translation is from vol.10 of a 38-volume work called "Early Church
      Fathers", located online at http://www.ccel.org/fathers2. The first ten
      volumes of this work (for which I've been unable to find publication dates)
      is entitled "Ante-Nicene Fathers", and vol.10 is titled "Recently
      Discovered Additions to Early Christian Literature". Since these "recently
      discovered additions" include also the Gospel of Peter, this work must be,
      as you say, about 100 years old now. I agree with your comments about its
      usefulness (or rather lack thereof), but it's evidently the only thing online.

      The letters 'ccel' in the above URL's stands for "Christian Classics
      Ethereal Library", maintained by Calvin College (Grand Rapids, Michigan), a
      fundamentalist Christian college whose president recently resigned on
      charges of moral terpitude.

      Don't want none'a that old time religion!