[gthomas] Re: Gospel of Philip

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2000
      At 03:46 PM 02/06/00 -0800, Phillip Gofannon wrote:
      >Three women always walked with the lord--Mary his mother, his sister,
      >and the Magdalene, who is called his companion. For "Mary" is the name
      >of his sister and his mother, and it is the name of his partner.
      >(Gospel of Philip 28) [59:6-11 MG]
      >
      >Could someone who knows Coptic elaborate on the translations "partner"
      >and "companion"? Does the Coptic imply that Mary M. is Jesus's lover?

      No. 'Companion' in this passage is actually the Greek word 'KOINwNOS',
      which, as far as I know, means just 'partner', not 'lover'. This is
      consistent with the Coptic word '2wTRE' used for 'partner' above. Neither
      word is used in GThom, but both occur elsewhere in GPhil:

      70:24: "The partner (2wTRE) of [Adam's] soul is the spirit."

      63:32: "The companion (KOINwNOS) of [the Savior is?] Mary Magdalene."

      This latter statement is followed by the famous passage cited by Elaine
      Pagels in "The Gnostic Gospels" as possible support for more than just
      partnership:

      "[He loved] her more than the rest of the disciples [and used to] kiss her
      [often] on her [mouth]. The rest of [the disciples ...]. They said to him,
      'Why do you love her more than all of us?' The Savior answered and said to
      them, 'Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees
      are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When
      the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind
      will remain in darkness.'"

      Non sequitur, or a hint that the Magdalene was greater than the other
      disciples? I don't know, but we have to be careful not to jump to
      conclusions here, even if the gaps are filled in as above. Some early Xn's
      practised what might be called "Platonic marriage", in which the partners
      did not have sexual relations. In other cases, a man and woman would team
      up in a Platonic partnership, but not get married. It seems quite
      unimaginable that the Gospel of Philip, which favors asceticism, would hint
      at any kind of sexual relationship between J and the Magdalene. It's merely
      saying that she was in some sense his "soul mate", and thus a favored
      disciple. Nor should we assume that this is historically accurate - only
      that the GOP presented it that way. The Magdalene was a favorite figure in
      gnostic and other non-centrist Xn writings.

      BTW, do you mind telling me (offlist perhaps) where you got the numbering
      'GOP 28'?