[gthomas] Re: Solitary?

  • Osirion1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
      In a message dated 12/28/1999 6:17:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      raptord@... writes:

      > We find the word "solitary" in the following sayings --
      > -------------------
      > 16) Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to
      > cast upon the world. They do not know that it is dissension which I have
      > come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war. For there will be five
      > in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father
      > against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand
      > solitary."
      > ---------------------
      > 49) Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the
      > Kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return."
      > ------------------------
      > 75) Jesus said, "Many are standing at the door, but it is the solitary who
      > will enter the bridal chamber."
      > -----------------------
      > What does this term mean in these sayings ? In our language "solitary"
      > means --standing alone, a hermit, one who is deprived of or who avoids the
      > society of others.
      > Tord

      One of the essential things in order for a 'cult' to successfully influence
      converts,
      or so the anticult, reprogrammers tell us, is for the cult to isolate the
      converts from
      their former contacts - family, friends, church, etc. Likewise, for the
      reprogrammers
      to be successful in their efforts, they need isolation of the convert, or
      absolute
      control over the contacts, media, and other information to which the convert
      is exposed.

      Psychological experiments have shown an incredible, minus the scientific data,
      an unbelievable, willingness of human subjects to go along with the majority,
      and to obey authority figures.

      Gurdjieff teaches that in order to reach "objective" consciousness, one must
      remove oneself from the influence of groups - all groups.

      This theme is encountered over and over in a variety of religious sects.
      So, unless one really thinks that Jesus advocated salvation for the masses,
      or that he believed wisdom is for the crowds, then the advice to become
      solitary,
      or to stand alone, means just that - stand solitary, against the world.

      John Henderson