[gthomas] Re: Solitary?

  • C. Mooney
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
      Concerning the use of the word solitary, the concepts listed with the work
      solitary parallel those of Luke 14:26 and Mathew 10:34-37. These have
      generally been interpreted as the need for a singular committment to God,
      God's laws, and the teaching of Jesus above all else as the mark of true
      discipleship. In particular, the selection from Mathew and GOT are very
      similar.

      Jack
    • samuel
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
        At 06:12 PM 12/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >We find the word "solitary" in the following sayings --
        >-------------------
        >16) Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to
        >cast upon the world. They do not know that it is dissension which I have
        >come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war. For there will be five
        >in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father
        >against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand
        >solitary."
        >---------------------
        >49) Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the
        >Kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return."
        >------------------------
        >75) Jesus said, "Many are standing at the door, but it is the solitary who
        >will enter the bridal chamber."
        >-----------------------
        >What does this term mean in these sayings ? In our language "solitary"
        >means --standing alone, a hermit, one who is deprived of or who avoids the
        >society of others.
        >Tord

        Has anyone ever considered the possibility that the word(s)
        being translated as Didymus / Thomas might have been used
        with an intended meaning of - "twice born"... rather than... "twin" ?

        That the word being translated as - "solitary" might have had
        an intended meaning of - "as One" ?

        That the word in #1, 18 and 19 being translated as - "taste"
        might have had an intended meaning of - "fear"?

        samuel
      • Osirion1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
          In a message dated 12/28/1999 6:17:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          raptord@... writes:

          > We find the word "solitary" in the following sayings --
          > -------------------
          > 16) Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to
          > cast upon the world. They do not know that it is dissension which I have
          > come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war. For there will be five
          > in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father
          > against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand
          > solitary."
          > ---------------------
          > 49) Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find the
          > Kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return."
          > ------------------------
          > 75) Jesus said, "Many are standing at the door, but it is the solitary who
          > will enter the bridal chamber."
          > -----------------------
          > What does this term mean in these sayings ? In our language "solitary"
          > means --standing alone, a hermit, one who is deprived of or who avoids the
          > society of others.
          > Tord

          One of the essential things in order for a 'cult' to successfully influence
          converts,
          or so the anticult, reprogrammers tell us, is for the cult to isolate the
          converts from
          their former contacts - family, friends, church, etc. Likewise, for the
          reprogrammers
          to be successful in their efforts, they need isolation of the convert, or
          absolute
          control over the contacts, media, and other information to which the convert
          is exposed.

          Psychological experiments have shown an incredible, minus the scientific data,
          an unbelievable, willingness of human subjects to go along with the majority,
          and to obey authority figures.

          Gurdjieff teaches that in order to reach "objective" consciousness, one must
          remove oneself from the influence of groups - all groups.

          This theme is encountered over and over in a variety of religious sects.
          So, unless one really thinks that Jesus advocated salvation for the masses,
          or that he believed wisdom is for the crowds, then the advice to become
          solitary,
          or to stand alone, means just that - stand solitary, against the world.

          John Henderson