[gthomas] Re: Note from listowner

  • Tord Svenson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
      At 11:24 AM 12/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
      >GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
      >anniversary!
      > I have decided to step back in as moderator since the posting to the list
      >has pretty much ground to a halt. I have removed the posting restrictions on
      >all those who were under them, you know who you are. I plan to moderate with
      >a lighter hand. I apologize for any inconvenience my return may cause
      >anyone.
      > I look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
      >the coming year.

      >Paul Miller
      ---------- Reply ------------
      Paul and friends --- a lot of the brouhaha concerning the censorship of the
      list was due to me. I'm sorry that it happened and I apologize for going
      off topic. However, I have to wonder if the drop in list traffic was due to
      that. Most lists have "dry spells" --especially around the holidays. Some
      lists maintain detailed automatic records concerning list traffic and the
      resulting graphs can show long-term trends. I seldom have seen any mass
      exodus from a list over minor league censorship.

      What concerns me much more is that the former moderators like Mike STAY
      WITH THE LIST. I hope that any differences between them and Paul can be
      resolved. I hope that the decision to drop them as moderators was arrived
      at prior to it being announced. The list has lost several major figures in
      the GOT scholarship field -- losing more would be tragic.

      A symptom of this loss of interest is the fact that nobody commented on the
      paper that Mark Goodacre offered concerning the relationship between Q and
      the GOT. I read the paper and hoped that some scholars would debate the
      issues Mark raises.

      Is there a way to attract good scholars to the list? Perhaps some of us
      could donate some money and ads could be placed in the proper places. I
      could promote the list at Harvard Divinity school --its a few minutes by
      public transport from our home. Perhaps there are other possibilities for
      promotion.

      I greatly appreciate the interplay of scholars who know what they are
      talking about. They are role models and encourage us "ordinary" folk to do
      diligence and see what they see through a lifetime of training. Stevan
      Davies has greatly influenced my thinking about the GOT. I wouldn't have
      been able to "drink from his lips" without this list.

      The gthomas list is important -- it can not die out or become irrelevant.

      Happy Birthday to the list and to you, Paul, as the list father.
      Tord
      .
      .
      .