[gthomas] IS THE GOSPEL OF THOMAS GNOSTIC?

  • Strephon Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 1999
      I too suspect along with James Bean that the Church categorized Thomas and
      other texts as Gnostic to get rid of them. It does look like the Thomas
      sayings we have are truncated in an attempt to make them esoteric, obscure
      in meaning, and difficult to understand if you do not have an inner circle
      interpreter. However, I wonder if the Thomas sayings were abbreviated simply
      because they were first remembered as oral sayings and so the memory process
      shortens things. So here Gnostic can mean esoteric or hidden knowledge which
      takes a special consciousness to understand. You have to be initiated into
      the hidden teachings, the comic system so to speak before you can understand
      obscure Gnostic texts, and even then you may only be interpreting them based
      on your own symbol system. Gnostic can also mean spiritual realms rather
      than worldly arena. The dominant early Christian view seemed to go towards
      outer practice in community, as with having churches and collective rituals
      as the visible embodiment of the religious identity and feeling. Gnostic in
      contrast would mean developing the heavenly realms of both inner mysticism
      and shared visionary experiences.

      But when I work with the Thomas material in personal practice I come up with
      Jesus here as a spiritual realist. Close analysis of Jesus in his teaching
      encounters in Thomas shows Jesus dealing with all sorts of life situations,
      not by going into mystical realms but by becoming realistic in a practical
      sense.
      --
      There is no road to the unconscious. The unconscious is the road.
      There is no road to dreams. Dreams are the way.

      --Strephon Kaplan-Williams/Blessings!

      > There is no road to happiness. Happiness is the road.
      > There is no road to meditation. Meditation is the road.
      > There is no road anywhere. Here is the road.
      >
      > Wayne Dyer/Shanti

      Strephon Kaplan-Williams
      http://www.Dreamwork2000.com
      strephon@...