[gthomas] GOT Joy - happiness that "WILL NOT TASTE DEATH"

  • Harold Helm
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 1999
      The Phrase "WILL NOT TASTE DEATH" in Sayings 1, 18, 20 suggests JOY in
      at least an eschatalogical if not present context - yes?? What may we
      exegetically discover from GOT per concepts of paradise existentially?
      I would welcome the parallels of GOT to ANE sources where "Joy" in the
      sense of cara┬╗ or opa (Greek) -please include Coptic, Hebrew, Aramaic
      synonyms in the context of Play - fun, with wit and humor may be shown.
      > GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
      > anniversary!
      Thanks for your having this list, and please repost the list rules, Paul.
      You are most gracious to provide a place for SCHOLARLY discussion of GOT.
      We look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
      the coming 2000. - Harold Helm <sundance@...> Houston Texas USA
    • Tord Svenson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
        At 11:24 AM 12/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
        >GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
        >anniversary!
        > I have decided to step back in as moderator since the posting to the list
        >has pretty much ground to a halt. I have removed the posting restrictions on
        >all those who were under them, you know who you are. I plan to moderate with
        >a lighter hand. I apologize for any inconvenience my return may cause
        >anyone.
        > I look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
        >the coming year.

        >Paul Miller
        ---------- Reply ------------
        Paul and friends --- a lot of the brouhaha concerning the censorship of the
        list was due to me. I'm sorry that it happened and I apologize for going
        off topic. However, I have to wonder if the drop in list traffic was due to
        that. Most lists have "dry spells" --especially around the holidays. Some
        lists maintain detailed automatic records concerning list traffic and the
        resulting graphs can show long-term trends. I seldom have seen any mass
        exodus from a list over minor league censorship.

        What concerns me much more is that the former moderators like Mike STAY
        WITH THE LIST. I hope that any differences between them and Paul can be
        resolved. I hope that the decision to drop them as moderators was arrived
        at prior to it being announced. The list has lost several major figures in
        the GOT scholarship field -- losing more would be tragic.

        A symptom of this loss of interest is the fact that nobody commented on the
        paper that Mark Goodacre offered concerning the relationship between Q and
        the GOT. I read the paper and hoped that some scholars would debate the
        issues Mark raises.

        Is there a way to attract good scholars to the list? Perhaps some of us
        could donate some money and ads could be placed in the proper places. I
        could promote the list at Harvard Divinity school --its a few minutes by
        public transport from our home. Perhaps there are other possibilities for
        promotion.

        I greatly appreciate the interplay of scholars who know what they are
        talking about. They are role models and encourage us "ordinary" folk to do
        diligence and see what they see through a lifetime of training. Stevan
        Davies has greatly influenced my thinking about the GOT. I wouldn't have
        been able to "drink from his lips" without this list.

        The gthomas list is important -- it can not die out or become irrelevant.

        Happy Birthday to the list and to you, Paul, as the list father.
        Tord
        .
        .
        .