[gthomas] Note from listowner

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 1999
      GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
      anniversary!
      I have decided to step back in as moderator since the posting to the list
      has pretty much ground to a halt. I have removed the posting restrictions on
      all those who were under them, you know who you are. I plan to moderate with
      a lighter hand. I apologize for any inconvenience my return may cause
      anyone.
      I look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
      the coming year.

      Paul Miller
    • Paul Egri
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 1999
        Hi Paul. Could you please remove me from the mailing list?

        Thanks,

        Paul

        On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Paul Miller wrote:

        > GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
        > anniversary!
        > I have decided to step back in as moderator since the posting to the list
        > has pretty much ground to a halt. I have removed the posting restrictions on
        > all those who were under them, you know who you are. I plan to moderate with
        > a lighter hand. I apologize for any inconvenience my return may cause
        > anyone.
        > I look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
        > the coming year.
        >

        > Paul Miller

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=gthomas&m=1

      • Harold Helm
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 26, 1999
          The Phrase "WILL NOT TASTE DEATH" in Sayings 1, 18, 20 suggests JOY in
          at least an eschatalogical if not present context - yes?? What may we
          exegetically discover from GOT per concepts of paradise existentially?
          I would welcome the parallels of GOT to ANE sources where "Joy" in the
          sense of cara┬╗ or opa (Greek) -please include Coptic, Hebrew, Aramaic
          synonyms in the context of Play - fun, with wit and humor may be shown.
          > GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
          > anniversary!
          Thanks for your having this list, and please repost the list rules, Paul.
          You are most gracious to provide a place for SCHOLARLY discussion of GOT.
          We look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
          the coming 2000. - Harold Helm <sundance@...> Houston Texas USA
        • Tord Svenson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
            At 11:24 AM 12/26/99 -0600, you wrote:
            >GThomas is one year old today, I started this list 12-26-98. So happy
            >anniversary!
            > I have decided to step back in as moderator since the posting to the list
            >has pretty much ground to a halt. I have removed the posting restrictions on
            >all those who were under them, you know who you are. I plan to moderate with
            >a lighter hand. I apologize for any inconvenience my return may cause
            >anyone.
            > I look forward to much interesting discussion of The Gospel of Thomas in
            >the coming year.

            >Paul Miller
            ---------- Reply ------------
            Paul and friends --- a lot of the brouhaha concerning the censorship of the
            list was due to me. I'm sorry that it happened and I apologize for going
            off topic. However, I have to wonder if the drop in list traffic was due to
            that. Most lists have "dry spells" --especially around the holidays. Some
            lists maintain detailed automatic records concerning list traffic and the
            resulting graphs can show long-term trends. I seldom have seen any mass
            exodus from a list over minor league censorship.

            What concerns me much more is that the former moderators like Mike STAY
            WITH THE LIST. I hope that any differences between them and Paul can be
            resolved. I hope that the decision to drop them as moderators was arrived
            at prior to it being announced. The list has lost several major figures in
            the GOT scholarship field -- losing more would be tragic.

            A symptom of this loss of interest is the fact that nobody commented on the
            paper that Mark Goodacre offered concerning the relationship between Q and
            the GOT. I read the paper and hoped that some scholars would debate the
            issues Mark raises.

            Is there a way to attract good scholars to the list? Perhaps some of us
            could donate some money and ads could be placed in the proper places. I
            could promote the list at Harvard Divinity school --its a few minutes by
            public transport from our home. Perhaps there are other possibilities for
            promotion.

            I greatly appreciate the interplay of scholars who know what they are
            talking about. They are role models and encourage us "ordinary" folk to do
            diligence and see what they see through a lifetime of training. Stevan
            Davies has greatly influenced my thinking about the GOT. I wouldn't have
            been able to "drink from his lips" without this list.

            The gthomas list is important -- it can not die out or become irrelevant.

            Happy Birthday to the list and to you, Paul, as the list father.
            Tord
            .
            .
            .