[gthomas] Allegory and the Gnostic worldview

  • joseph baxter
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      At 05:54 PM 12/6/99 , jim bauer wrote:
      >Literary critic Harold Bloom was much impressed with _A Voyage to Arcturus_
      >and wrote his own story, _The Flight to Lucifer_, loosely based on Lindsay's
      >book--though the term "plagiarized" has often been used as well, He also
      >drew heavily from Hans Jonas' _The Gnostic Religion_. I used to own a copy
      >of the book, but my devout Catholic mother threw it behind my back. In
      >spite of the title, Lucifer is not present as "the Devil," it's the name of
      >a planet.

      The word Lucifer is Latin for LUCIS = LIGHT, and FERRE = bringer or
      bearer. LUCIFER means LIGHT
      BEARER.) The name is originally associated with the planet Venus. This is
      because Venus, thought of as the "morning star" , is often visible before
      sunrise. Thus it was thought of as the light bearer, in the sense that it
      brought the light before the sun. As early as around 350 AD, "Lucifer" was
      a respectable name in the early church. An early bishop who fiercely
      opposed Arianism bore this name. The association between Lucifer and the
      devil is described by the Catholic Encyclopedia:

      The name Lucifer originally denotes the planet Venus,
      emphasizing its brilliance. The Vulgate
      employs the word also for "the light of the morning" (Job
      50:17), "the signs of the zodiac" (Job
      38:32), and "the aurora" (Psalm 109:3). Metaphorically, the word
      is applied to the King of Babylon
      (Isaiah 14:12) as preeminent among the princes of his time; to
      the high priest Simon son of Onias
      (Ecclesiasticus 50:6), for his surpassing virtue, to the glory
      of heaven (Apocalypse 2:28), by reason
      of its excellency; finally to Jesus Christ himself (II Petr.
      1:19; Apocalypse 22:16; the "Exultet" of
      Holy Saturday) the true light of our spiritual life. The Syriac
      version and the version of Aquila derive
      the Hebrew noun helel from the verb yalal, "to lament"; St.
      Jerome agrees with them (In Isaiah
      1:14), and makes Lucifer the name of the principal fallen angel
      who must lament the loss of his
      original glory bright as the morning star. In Christian
      tradition this meaning of Lucifer has prevailed;
      the Fathers maintain that Lucifer is not the proper name of the
      devil, but denotes only the state from
      which he has fallen (Petavius, De Angelis, III, iii, 4).

      Joe Baxter

      joe
    • Jacob Knee
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 1999
        The academic publishers Brill have a special offer on their web site. All
        books published before 1996 are avaailable at the discount of 3 titles for
        $125 or 7 for $250.

        The offer expires on 24 December so order quickly if you are interested!

        Their web site is www.brill.nl.

        Jacob Knee
        (Boston, England)