[gthomas] Allegory and the Gnostic worldview

  • Paul Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      Understanding the Gnostic worldview can be difficult. I have read Gnostic
      texts and Rudolph's facinating book "Gnosis". I have recently stumbled
      across a rather non-mainstream way of understanding the Gnostic worldview.
      In 1920 British author David Lindsay wrote a book called "A Voyage to
      Arcturus". This is an interesting exposition of Gnostic concepts in an
      allegorical form. The book was quite ahead of it's time.
      One caveat however, it may be difficult to find.

      Paul Miller
    • Jim Bauer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        Literary critic Harold Bloom was much impressed with _A Voyage to Arcturus_
        and wrote his own story, _The Flight to Lucifer_, loosely based on Lindsay's
        book--though the term "plagiarized" has often been used as well, He also
        drew heavily from Hans Jonas' _The Gnostic Religion_. I used to own a copy
        of the book, but my devout Catholic mother threw it behind my back. In
        spite of the title, Lucifer is not present as "the Devil," it's the name of
        a planet. If you can find the Bloom book, it's closer to GTOM than
        Lindsay's.

        Jim Bauer
        >Understanding the Gnostic worldview can be difficult. I have read Gnostic
        >texts and Rudolph's facinating book "Gnosis". I have recently stumbled
        >across a rather non-mainstream way of understanding the Gnostic worldview.
        >In 1920 British author David Lindsay wrote a book called "A Voyage to
        >Arcturus". This is an interesting exposition of Gnostic concepts in an
        >allegorical form. The book was quite ahead of it's time.
        > One caveat however, it may be difficult to find.
        >
        >Paul Miller

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=gthomas&m=1

      • joseph baxter
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          At 05:54 PM 12/6/99 , jim bauer wrote:
          >Literary critic Harold Bloom was much impressed with _A Voyage to Arcturus_
          >and wrote his own story, _The Flight to Lucifer_, loosely based on Lindsay's
          >book--though the term "plagiarized" has often been used as well, He also
          >drew heavily from Hans Jonas' _The Gnostic Religion_. I used to own a copy
          >of the book, but my devout Catholic mother threw it behind my back. In
          >spite of the title, Lucifer is not present as "the Devil," it's the name of
          >a planet.

          The word Lucifer is Latin for LUCIS = LIGHT, and FERRE = bringer or
          bearer. LUCIFER means LIGHT
          BEARER.) The name is originally associated with the planet Venus. This is
          because Venus, thought of as the "morning star" , is often visible before
          sunrise. Thus it was thought of as the light bearer, in the sense that it
          brought the light before the sun. As early as around 350 AD, "Lucifer" was
          a respectable name in the early church. An early bishop who fiercely
          opposed Arianism bore this name. The association between Lucifer and the
          devil is described by the Catholic Encyclopedia:

          The name Lucifer originally denotes the planet Venus,
          emphasizing its brilliance. The Vulgate
          employs the word also for "the light of the morning" (Job
          50:17), "the signs of the zodiac" (Job
          38:32), and "the aurora" (Psalm 109:3). Metaphorically, the word
          is applied to the King of Babylon
          (Isaiah 14:12) as preeminent among the princes of his time; to
          the high priest Simon son of Onias
          (Ecclesiasticus 50:6), for his surpassing virtue, to the glory
          of heaven (Apocalypse 2:28), by reason
          of its excellency; finally to Jesus Christ himself (II Petr.
          1:19; Apocalypse 22:16; the "Exultet" of
          Holy Saturday) the true light of our spiritual life. The Syriac
          version and the version of Aquila derive
          the Hebrew noun helel from the verb yalal, "to lament"; St.
          Jerome agrees with them (In Isaiah
          1:14), and makes Lucifer the name of the principal fallen angel
          who must lament the loss of his
          original glory bright as the morning star. In Christian
          tradition this meaning of Lucifer has prevailed;
          the Fathers maintain that Lucifer is not the proper name of the
          devil, but denotes only the state from
          which he has fallen (Petavius, De Angelis, III, iii, 4).

          Joe Baxter

          joe
        • Jacob Knee
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 1999
            The academic publishers Brill have a special offer on their web site. All
            books published before 1996 are avaailable at the discount of 3 titles for
            $125 or 7 for $250.

            The offer expires on 24 December so order quickly if you are interested!

            Their web site is www.brill.nl.

            Jacob Knee
            (Boston, England)