[gthomas] Re: physical means for the mother to check to see if the father was amember of the RIGHT tribe

  • Craig Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 1999
      ―- Harold Helm wrote ―-

      >> CIrcumcision of the Spirit is EVIDENCED by
      >>fruits of love joy peace kindness gentleness
      >>faithfulness etc - lacking which the Xian is
      >>sent to gehenna - a close tribal parallel:)

      The statement "lacking which the Christian is sent to gehenna"
      doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I guess the truth of
      this statement depends on how wide the definition of "Christian"
      is.

      >>> Harold Helm <sundance@...> 11/13/99 10:48PM >>>
      To paraphrase a past Professor of Religion,
      circumcision served as a physical means
      for the mother to check to see if the father
      was a member of the RIGHT tribe - preservation
      purity of their group/species. If the fruit of
      her womb was not fathered by an accepted member
      she was to throw the baby into the gehenna heap
      - (anyone have some documentation for above?)

      * CIrcumcision of the Spirit is EVIDENCED by
      fruits of love joy peace kindness gentleness
      faithfulness etc - lacking which the Xian is
      sent to gehenna - a close tribal parallel:)

      Anyone notice any marks e.g. tatoos, other cuts
      as means of VERY BASIC tribal /group membership?

      WHY were/are WOMEN circumcised in some cultures?

      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=gthomas&m=1