[gthomas] Re: Mark of the Father.

  • joseph baxter
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 1999
      At 07:03 PM 11/13/99 , you wrote:

      >Robert Tessman wrote:
      >>I doubt Circumcision had anything to do with 'cleanliness'.

      I can't really say how it began. But, the concept of cleanliness is behind
      the support it received among doctors up until fairly recently. This may be
      less relevant in a modern culture where we tend to bathe everyday. But in
      old cultures where bathing was much less common, this was the one
      significant utility of the practice. Which is not to say it didn't serve
      other functions, such as the one you suggest. But since the practice had a
      utility, I tend to believe that this had something to do with the practice.

      Joe Baxter

      joe