[gthomas] Re: L12 & L53

  • Zen Ma
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 1999
      My reply:

      I think what is being spoken of is the concept of non-attachment to worldly
      things.

      Veronica.

      Tord wrote:
      55) Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate his father and his mother
      cannot become a disciple to Me. And whoever does not hate his brothers
      and sisters and take up his cross in My way will not be worthy of Me."
      It would have been incumbent on Jesus to hate James.

      Joe Baxter wrote:
      Are you take this out of its setting? Is hate the best way to
      describe what is being taught here? The disciple is asked to take up the
      cross of his brother. Some say this may have been added later. But still,
      the intention may have been to drive this saying closer to its true meaning.
      Those who follow in his footsteps take up something which is beyond biology.
      Which is consistent with the idea that circumcision of the spirit is more
      profitable than circumcision of the anatomy.

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 1999
        A review on the RBL site of the Risto Uro (ed.) volume, _Thomas at
        the Crossroads_. It is by Dale Allision and mainly just describes the
        contents.

        http://www.bookreviews.org/Reviews/0567086070.html

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        The New Testament Gateway
        Mark Without Q