[gthomas] Re: circ of spt

  • Davies
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
      It makes perfectly good sense to me. What's the first thing that you
      have to have
      when you become a Jew? You have to get a nice circumcision. What's the
      first thing when you become an Xian? You get the holyghost. Luke makes
      that
      clear as can be. So, if circumcision is understood to be "the initial
      initiatory factor"
      spt replaces circ. It's the condition for entry.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
        At 10:16 PM 11/13/99 -0500, Davies wrote:
        >... if circumcision is understood to be "the initial initiatory factor"
        >spt replaces circ. It's the condition for entry.

        Problem with this is that if the having of the (Holy) Spirit replaces
        circumcision, why speak of "*circumcision* of the spirit"? Why not just say
        that *the Spirit* itself has "become completely profitable"? 'Circumcision'
        suggests cutting off something, and what is cut off when one gives oneself
        over to the spirit seems to be the connection to worldly concerns. Paul's
        idea of "dying to the world" and being reborn "in Christ" as a new kind of
        being thru baptism seems to be reflected in GThom's admonition to "fast
        from the world". So of the many interesting suggestions on this topic, I
        think Veronica may have come closest to capturing what the phrase means
        within GThom:

        >I think what is being spoken of is the concept of non-attachment
        >to worldly things.

      • joseph baxter
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
          At 07:16 PM 11/13/99 , you wrote:

          >It makes perfectly good sense to me. What's the first thing that you
          >have to have
          >when you become a Jew? You have to get a nice circumcision. What's the
          >first thing when you become an Xian? You get the holyghost. Luke makes
          >that
          >clear as can be. So, if circumcision is understood to be "the initial
          >initiatory factor"
          >spt replaces circ.

          Still, removal of the foreskin on a penis is not an apt metaphor for the
          holy ghost.

          joe

          joe