[gthomas] Re: Lacuna image online

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 18, 1999
      At 08:38 AM 10/18/99 -0400, Michael Grondin wrote:
      >BTW, for those who might be wondering, 'XRHSTOS' <kraystos> (good, kind,
      >etc) is not the same as 'XRISTOS' <kreestos> (annointed one, Christ). The
      >difference in one letter would not have confused the Greeks any more or
      >less than the difference in one letter between 'tame' and 'time' confuses
      >us. (In both cases, there's no misunderstanding if the words are written;
      >when spoken, there's a possibility of confusion if the speaker doesn't
      >pronounce the words in precisely the way expected by the listener.)

      This may be true for classical Attic Greek of the fifth century before
      our era, but by the time Thomas was written in Greek or certainly later
      in Coptic, the eta (H) was closing to have the same vowel sound as I,
      as in modern Greek. For example, some Attic inscriptions around 150
      of our era show some confusion between H and I. This may explain why
      Suetonius apparently misspelled Christo as Chresto.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...