[gthomas] ritual

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16 10:03 AM
      Since signing onto this e-group, I've noticed a lot of interpretation of what various Greek and Coptic words might mean, for example, but nothing on what Thomas is like as a religion employing ritual, as most, if not all, religions do.  I find it hard to believe, for example, that there were no public readings of GOT, especially for the "psychics" and "pneumatics" as opposed to the "sarkics".  I realize, of course, that these categorizations of believers was a later invention, yet in the opening passage there is a reference to "the secret sayings" of Jesus.

      Did they at least congregate, presumably on the Sabbath, and read their scriptures aloud?  Were there any sacraments?  In a former post, I tried to make the point that the lion which the man eats could refer to communion and Jonathon Z. Smith has tried to make "they will cast aside their garments and trample them underfoot" into a case for Baptism.  Written much later, the Gospel of Philip states, "there is water in fire, there is fire in a chrism."  I am not trying to make a Thomas/Philip connection, but anointing with oil probably does date back to very early Xianity.  How was Thomas used by early groups, and what was the Nag Hammadi group doing with it?

      Jim Bauer