[gthomas] Re: saying #6

  • Stevan Davies
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 1999
      > Steve Davies wrote:
      > >... Matthew's use of Thomas 6ab means that Matthew knew
      > >of the Thomas version and not anything else, because
      > >Thomas 6ab never existed outside of Thomas.
      >
      > Before you make too much of this, better recheck it. The questions (6a) are
      > not in Matt.

      Right. But then again they are implied. Jesus (Matthew) is explaining how
      to do stuff to an implied audience that wants to know.

      >The part about not lying and not doing what you hate is not in
      > Matt.

      I've been prone to think that "not lying and not doing what you hate" is related
      to Matthew's obsession with "do not be a hypocrite." Definition here
      at hand in Random House dictionary "one whose actions belie stated
      beliefs." What's the etymology of hypocrite? One who pretends
      to be one thing while being something else? Don't hypocrites do
      what they hate as a general rule?

      > Hidden and revealed is, but that's only part of 6b. Unless you're
      > thinking of 14 as 6b.

      No. Mt knows of 6 as it stands.

      > But even there, while Matt addresses the issues of
      > fasting, praying, and giving alms in Mt 6.2-8, his remarks don't much
      > resemble the GThom answers. So it appears that a claim that Matthew knew or
      > used 6ab is on pretty slim grounds, putting it mildly.

      Seems obvious to me that he did. Forget 14. If the question is
      "how shall we pray" and the answer is something to the effect "do not
      be hypocrites" and implicitly "do secretly and it will be revealed"
      speaking of "in the sight of heaven" then Mt has just fleshed out what he has
      found implied in the original and done so in utterly boilerplate
      Matthean ways. As with Mk 8:2-27//GTh 13, Thomas should force folks
      to face up to sayings redaction on the large scale.

      Steve