[gthomas] James

  • Tord Svenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 1999
      Here are two accounts of James. The URL has a huge selection of sources.
      http://qumran.com/qumran_forum/_qumrandisc2/0000008b.htm
      If he was the only one allowed in the sanctuary ( inner chamber) of the
      Temple in Jerusalem I don't know who was higher in stature than James.
      However, what direct evidence exists for this claim may be questionable as
      anything else. He turns up in the Dead Sea Scrolls whereas Jesus does not
      ( or so the scholars claim). We appear to know a lot more about James than
      we do about Jesus.
      Tord
      ------------------
      >James, the "brother "of Jesus (Mat 13:55-57), was the leader of the Jerusalem
      >Community and was described by Eusebius as the first Bishop of Jerusalem.
      James the
      >Righteous or 'upright' was said to have been ' holy from his birth'. 'He
      drank no wine or
      >intoxicating liquor and ate no animal food, no razor came near his head'
      (Eusebius p.59). A
      >wearer of priestly linen, he was permitted to enter the Sanctuary of the
      Temple alone. He
      >was so often on his knees beseeching forgiveness for the people that his
      knees grew hard
      >like a camel's. These were all characteristics of the nazirites, those
      consecrated to Yahweh,
      >the most firm of all adherents of the Law, (Num 6:1-5). He taught the
      Gospel so well that
      >even some of the ruling class came to believe that Jesus was the Messiah.
      'Because of his
      >unsurpassable righteousness he was called the Righteous and Oblias - in
      our own language
      >'Bulwark of the People and Righteousness'- fulfilling the declarations of
      the prophets
      >regarding him.' (Eusebius p.59)
      >
      >Eusebius tells the story of James' martyrdom. The scribes and Pharisees,
      afraid of his
      >effectiveness, asked him to tell the people gathered for the Passover that
      Jesus was not
      >the Messiah. He went up on the parapet of the sanctuary to address the
      crowd. Instead of
      >denying that Christ was the Messiah, he won many to the Gospel. The
      Pharisees threw him

      -----------------------
      >87. James M. Robinson, The Nag Hammadi Library in English, Harper and Row,
      (1988), "The
      >Gospel of Thomas", p. 127, where the disciples ask Jesus after he leaves
      who is in charge? Jesus
      >replies "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose
      sake heaven and earth
      >came into being." Cf. A. Guillaumont, H-Ch. Puech, G. Quispel, N. Till.,
      Yassah �Abd Al Mas h,
      >The Gospel According to Thomas, Coptic text established and translated,
      Leiden E.J. Brill, Harper
      >and Bros., (1959), p. 9, "go to James the Righteous". M.R. James, The
      Apocryphal New
      >Testament, Oxford, (1924), p. 3, James, the Lord�s brother, an illustrious
      man, vowed he would not
      >eat bread from the hour he had drunk the Lord�s cup until he had seen the
      ressurrected Lord. Christ
      >gave him bread and drink. Cf. Bertil Gartner, The Theology of the Gospel
      According to Thomas,
      >translated by Eric J. Sharpe, Harper and Bros., (1961), pp. 56f, where
      James is the central figure
      >among the faithful after Christ�s departure. It is also to him who the
      resurrected Lord appeared to
      >first. James is called the righteous one by Jesus, and the expression "for
      whose sake heaven and
      >earth came into being" is a Jewish form of expression, a title of high
      honor normally applied to the
      >Torah, David, the Messiah, Israel, etc. F. Legge, Forerunners and Rivals
      of Christianity, 2 Vols.,
      >Peter Smith, (1915), reprinted 1950, permission of Cambridge Univ. Press,
      Vol. 2, pp. 25f, James
      >was supposed to have handed down numerous discourses of the Ophites, (a
      widespread Gnostic
      >sect) to Mariamne, a sister of Philip.; Edgar Hennecke/Wilhelm
      Schneemelcher, Neutestamentliche
      >Apokryophen, (New Testament Apocrypha), 2 Vols., Westminster Press,
      (1964), Vol. 2, pp. 28f,
      >where Peter is the head of the circle of believers after Christ left, but
      that Paul didn�t regard the
      >twelve as an established institution functioning in his time. Gal. 1:18f,
      Paul saw Peter and James, but
      >not the other Apostles. Pg. 45, James the Just chosen as Bishop of the
      Jerusalem Church. p. 71,
      >Peter advised the Tripolitans to trust no teacher whom James had not
      approved of. p. 419, Paul
      >noted James as a pillar of the church, 1 Cor. 15:7, Gal. 2:9, James was
      holy from birth, drinking no
      >wine nor strong drink, shunning the razor, wearing no wool, and was the
      only one allowed in the
      >sanctuary of the Temple. Because he had prayed so long on his knees for
      the people, they were
      >calloused like a camel�s. He was called �Oblias� - "protection of the
      people". He was also known as
      >the Righteous. Josephus attributes the destruction of the Temple, 70 A.D.
      to the Jews stoning James
      >to death at the Temple for saying Jesus was in heaven on the Right hand of
      God and was coming