[gthomas] Re: Paul

  • Stevan Davies
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 1999
      > While I do not mean to draw this discussion too far off topic, I think perhaps
      > a little elaboration on this point might be beneficial. It is casually
      > inserted into your letter without any explanation, and I am curious as to why
      > you might think that Paul twisted Christ's message for his sake. If you meant
      > literally that Paul might be "an exception to this doubt", then by excluding
      > him from doubt you are making the strong statement that Paul *did* twist the
      > message. Where do you find evidence of this?
      >
      > -Scott

      I myself find it rather difficult to believe that Jesus went about
      proclaiming the message that salvation comes through faith
      in the death and resurrection of Jesus, that everybody who
      receives the spirit of the Son of God becomes Son of God
      and one in Christ and so forth. Or, to put it more simply, when
      I read the letter to the Galatians I don't find a lot of it that
      I think is "the message of Christ." In fact I don't find ANY of
      it that I think is "the message of Christ." However, since
      the guys lived at the same time in the same place at least for
      awhile they may well have agreed on something or other....

      Maybe you could summarize for us the message of
      Christ = the message of Paul.

      It would also be interesting to know what elements of that
      common message show up in Thomas (if any).

      Steve Davies