[gthomas] Re: Saying 97

  • Mats Winther
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 1999
      Concerning logion 97 I would like to point out the saying from the
      Hebrew (Ebionite) Gospel: The Saviour said: "Now my mother, the holy
      spirit, took me by one of my hairs and carried me to the high mountain
      Tabor."
      This tallies with an interpretation of the jar as a person of light
      who is carried by the holy spirit (i.e. a woman who is the mother).
      This may also point at a possibility that Jesus understood the holy
      spirit as a person of feminine gender.
      I have pondered the question of why the woman is unconscious of the
      fact that the jar is leaking. The leaking can be understood as the
      suffering of a person of light. The leaking is when his blood (i.e.
      the meal) pours down on earth. Jesus may have experienced his life as
      continous suffering. Although he was securely carried by the mother,
      this female person must have been unconscious of the suffering,
      otherwise she would take measures to stop the bleeding and mend the
      wound. Why this unconsciousness must exist is yet another mystery in
      the divine drama. But this may at least enhance the understanding of
      the suffering of Christ on the cross and his lamentation "...My God,
      my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Mat 27:46).

      ---------------------
      I'm sorry that I repeat myself from here on but I want to repeat some
      of my views on logion 97 for new participants:
      We can look upon it within the context of the sayings where he speaks
      about the light: (Logion 24) "...There is light within a person of
      light, and it shines on the whole world. If it does not shine, it is
      dark." (Logion 77) "..I am the light that is over all things. I am
      all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained.

      So the meal may be understood as more or less the same as the light
      which a person of light shines on the world during his lifetime. One
      can understand this as the Son returning to the Father after his
      mission on earth. So a jar spilling meal over the world has a
      symbolical resemblance to a lamp that "spills" light over the world.
      The latter conception occurs in the Gospel as sayings of Jesus e.g.
      Luk 11:36: "If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no
      part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright
      shining of a candle doth give thee light."

      What seems to occur is that a person of light "breaks" and because of
      this leaks the white light upon the world. This, of course, is true
      about Christ. He suffered while on earth, and while crucified he was
      penetrated with a lance so that his blood poured out on earth. The
      notion of breaking is obvious in the case of the breaking of the bread
      (to Jesus a very important conception). In John 6:51 Jesus says: "I am
      the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this
      bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my
      flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."
      A loaf of bread can be seen as a receptacle of meal. The loaf must be
      broken and distributed to the people. This is similar to the breaking
      of the jar which causes the spiritual meal to leak out upon the world.
      But the breaking entails suffering. It seems to imply that a wound has
      to be inflicted in order for the light to leak out from a
      light-person.

      What is very curious in this parable is that the woman carries on
      unconscious of the fact that the jar is leaking. This may be how Jesus
      experienced his life as a person of light. He feels like a receptacle
      of spirit that continously pours forth like a fountain of light. But
      in some way he is passive. He is carried by the unconscious woman and
      has no other choice than to carry out his Father's will by suffering
      and spreading the grace of God upon earth. So the unconscious woman
      then, could be interpreted as the unconscious psyche. The immense
      power of the unconscious is carrying him through life and takes him
      back to his Father's house. This is true about any person of light.

      I think that saying 97 is an amplification of this conception of the
      person that shines light from within. This light is food for the soul
      i.e. meal. But in this parable Jesus expands on the subject and
      introduces the element of suffering (breaking) and also how he himself
      feels as a person of light, i.e. that he is carried by the unconscious
      woman. So in a way he feels like a child who is carried by his mother.
      Perhaps he wants to convey his own complete feeling of security i.e.
      how a light-person will feel when two becomes one. And when the river
      of living water finally ceases to flow from his interior he will
      arrive at his Fathers house. But the Father is the Great Spirit
      himself, i.e. the source of all rivers of living water.

      We also know from depth psychology of a process called
      'individuation'. When this is invoked the individual has the
      experience of being carried by a strong current towards a goal which
      have been denoted 'the self'. The carrying current is called 'the
      collective unconscious' and is with men personalized as the feminine
      figure of the anima. So, psychologically speaking, logion 97 is
      comprehensible and must have been expressed by a person that had
      experienced these things. He actually talks about this unconscious
      woman who is the carrier of the jar that spreads meal over the world.
      These symbols are very potent and to a certain extent comprehensible
      too. With normal persons, when their candles go out they simply die
      and vanish. However, Jesus in logion 97 probably tells us that persons
      who have become "persons of light" are carried away to their Father's
      house. So their candles do not rest on the ground. They are carried
      away and when their candles go out and they die they arrive at the
      eternal life at their Father's house.

      Mats Winther