[gthomas] Re: Temple negation and 71

  • joseph baxter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 1999
      At 08:29 AM 9/18/99 , Paul wrote:
      >Thomas 71
      >I shall destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to build it
      >
      >Although the contention is certainly debatable I would call this an
      >anti-temple saying.

      This certainly seems to be the simplest interpretation. By that view, it
      might be the unredacted form of the "Destroy this temple and in three days
      I will rebuild it" saying. If a true saying, it would certainly explain why
      many priests would want him killed. It would also tend to put to
      pasture the politically correct view that Romans wanted him killed.

      An alternative,inner, interpretation is also suggested. It is said that the
      Buddha's first words after his enlightenment were these:

      Seeking, but not finding the House Builder,
      I travelled through the round of countless births:
      O painful is birth ever and again.
      House Builder, you have now been seen;
      You shall not build the house again.
      Your rafters have been broken down;
      your ridgepole is demolished too.

      Essentially, the Buddha is saying that finding no Creator, he realized that
      he built the house. The self is a construct. The ridgepole is the ego. One
      who is realized has destroyed the house.

      I am not suggesting that Yeshu, or whoever first said 71 necessarily had
      Buddhism as a source. What Buddha learned came from within. If he realized
      something, it's available to anyone. For example, followers may have
      wanted to worship Yeshu in his lifetime. He may have replied with 71, as a
      way of saying that his self was simply a passing construct, which he
      himself intended to go beyond.

      Grist for the mill.

      Joe Baxter

      joe