[gthomas] Temple negation and 71

  • paul,miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 1999
      Thomas 71
      I shall destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to build it

      Although the contention is certainly debatable I would call this an
      anti-temple saying. Would the GOT be anti-temple because of it's denigration
      of standard Jewish piety that is found in so many places in Thomas,
      6,14,27,52,53,89, or could it have to do with the Zadok priesthood no longer
      being in place, the temple being run by Herodian/Roman appointees?

      Paul Miller
    • joseph baxter
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 1999
        At 08:29 AM 9/18/99 , Paul wrote:
        >Thomas 71
        >I shall destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to build it
        >
        >Although the contention is certainly debatable I would call this an
        >anti-temple saying.

        This certainly seems to be the simplest interpretation. By that view, it
        might be the unredacted form of the "Destroy this temple and in three days
        I will rebuild it" saying. If a true saying, it would certainly explain why
        many priests would want him killed. It would also tend to put to
        pasture the politically correct view that Romans wanted him killed.

        An alternative,inner, interpretation is also suggested. It is said that the
        Buddha's first words after his enlightenment were these:

        Seeking, but not finding the House Builder,
        I travelled through the round of countless births:
        O painful is birth ever and again.
        House Builder, you have now been seen;
        You shall not build the house again.
        Your rafters have been broken down;
        your ridgepole is demolished too.

        Essentially, the Buddha is saying that finding no Creator, he realized that
        he built the house. The self is a construct. The ridgepole is the ego. One
        who is realized has destroyed the house.

        I am not suggesting that Yeshu, or whoever first said 71 necessarily had
        Buddhism as a source. What Buddha learned came from within. If he realized
        something, it's available to anyone. For example, followers may have
        wanted to worship Yeshu in his lifetime. He may have replied with 71, as a
        way of saying that his self was simply a passing construct, which he
        himself intended to go beyond.

        Grist for the mill.

        Joe Baxter

        joe