[gthomas] Re: The Most Reliable Access

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 1999
      >(Patterson's Intro): The Berlin Working Group continues
      >to be the most important center for the study of the Nag Hammadi texts.

      Steve:
      > And there's a nice little kick in the ass to Robinson's own Claremont
      > Institute.

      Yeah, I thought so too. Another reason to wonder whether Robinson got to
      read Patterson's Intro (other than the 12/13 books thingy)? Why would S.P.
      say such a thing? Playing up to Bethge for some reason or other?

      >Why are we going to Germany to get the best English translation
      >... one that all of the evidence we have so far indicates was
      >made by Germans from or after or in accord with the German Bible
      >Society version.

      Good question. I don't see anything to indicate that the BWG translation is
      any better than the ones we have already.

      >The notes for Meyer's little book
      >are really quite useful... does the Patterson book have notes?

      The notes in Meyer's book are excellent, as you say. Patterson's notes are
      standard stuff - not of the same type as Meyer (i.e., historical background).

      >What do you want to bet that the changes made in the German/English
      >original weren't principally for "political correctness?" E.g. it
      >would be interested to see if the original GBS version has, for
      >83 "The images are visible to humanity," "to man" or
      >"mankind."

      Hadn't thought of that, but I bet you're right. I don't know whether
      Robinson is of the "political correctness" school or not, but Patterson
      seems to be. If what you say is true, I'm gonna be real disappointed. (If
      early C.E. writers were dopes, let 'em sound like dopes, I say.)

      Mike
      (p.s. It's nice to gossip like this every once in a while.)