[gthomas] Re: Stigmata, the movie

  • James Lambert
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 1999
      Tord Svenson wrote:

      <snip>

      > The media is by-and-large focusing on the special effects and "Steven King"
      > style horror of this film and not the GOT aspect. Lots of blood. It will
      > be real fun when Steven King himself gets into the GOT. He'll have the
      > Langolears representing saying #60. :-)

      Hello Tord,

      Stephen King has already dealt with the Gospel of Thomas. Perhaps you
      are familiar with the book Tommyknockers.

      Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers,
      knocking at your door.

      Get it? Saying 92: Jesus say,
      "He who seek, find.
      He who knock, get let in".

      And what was the story about? On the surface, a woman finds the tip of
      an spaceship sticking out of the ground, she literally trips over it.
      She then starts to uncover it. As she does so she gains access to an
      unconscious knowledge of how to build various gadgets. So too do the
      other members of the village. (Treasure in the field: Saying 107.)

      This power of the GOT to assist in the integration of unconsciously held
      knowledge has already been well expressed by Jim Bauer when he wrote:

      > If we regard Thomas and the various stratifications of Q as "wheels,"
      > or levels of organization, we do indeed see "solved equation" being
      > used over and over again. This is consonant with Wimsatt's belief
      > that evolutionary heuristics are the same in all evolving systems.

      The is another within the book's subtext, that of radiation and nuclear
      power. Things begin to glow an ominous green color and the people
      become pale and start to loose their teeth. The hero, an alcoholic
      named Gardener is the only one not affected due to a metal plate in his
      head. He also doesn't experience any of the ecstatic revelation that
      occurs with the others who are helping to uncover this alien artifact.

      The villagers are all growing into a single telepathically linked being,
      they speak rapturously of becoming One. (Sayings 4 and 23)

      Underneath all of King's various horror trappings there is a not too
      subtle subliminal connection created within the minds of the readers
      between the Gospel of Thomas and a form of cult obsession with
      uncovering things that have long been buried.

      What did King find with the GOT? What exactly was he inoculating us
      against?

      James Lambert