[gthomas] the light

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 1999
      In Logion 77 Jesus states: "I am the light which is above them all. It is
      I who am the all. From me did it come and to me did it extend. Cleave a
      piece of wood and I am there. Lift up a stone and you will find me there."

      The statement here seems to be pantheistic, while at the same time claiming
      to literally "be" the all; here we see a claim for divine stature atypical
      of Thomas in general. Is there a possibility of a Hindu influence on these
      ideas? I am aware that some guy has tried to maintain that Jesus spent the
      lost years of his life in India, but don't know the guy's name. On the
      other hand, importing exotic ideas is not necessarily an explanation as a
      lot of mystics come up with it on their own.

      And why the distinction between "wood" and "stone"? Perhaps it is that one
      is living, the other isn't.