[gthomas] Crossan's recommended reading

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 1999
      Not all NT scholars have come to believe yet that the GOT is relevant to
      their work, but John Dominic Crossan does. I've been reading "The Birth of
      Christianity" (1998) in paperback, and have found it to be well worth the
      cover price (twenty bucks). In a section titled 'Ascetical Eschatology',
      Crossan contrasts the views of Stevan Davies and Stephen Patterson, saying
      this about "The Gospel of Thomas and Christian Wisdom" (Davies, 1983) and
      "The Gospel of Thomas and Jesus" (Patterson, 1993):

      "... those two books are the best, clearest, and most thorough
      English-language interpretations of this gospel."

      Crossan might also have mentioned Richard Valantasis' "The Gospel of
      Thomas" (1997) had it not been for the fact that Valantasis was published
      too late to be included in BOC. At any rate, these three books (Davies,
      Patterson, and Valantasis) are pretty much required reading for a thorough
      knowledge of the GOT. Davies' book is no longer in print, but is available
      on his website. The other two are available in paperback, the last I
      checked. For those many folks on our list who are just listening in, trying
      to learn more, I'd suggest these three, as well as Marvin Meyer's "The
      Gospel of Thomas" (1992), which contains both the original Coptic text and
      invaluable notes about each saying.

      My own list of suggested readings (some of which are pretty hard to find, I
      admit) is at: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/t_sorces.htm