[gthomas] Re: Blessings and curses

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 1999
      I wrote about logion 7:
      > 'Blessed/fortunate' is 'MAKARIOS', the Greek word used also in the NT
      > beatitudes. 'Cursed' is the Coptic word 'BHT', a form of the verb 'BwTe',
      > which can mean 'polluted, befouled, abominated, hateful'.

      Kevin Johnson replied:
      > ... you're telling me (I think) that the only equivalent to the Qumran
      > "curses" in Thomas is to be found in GTh 7 and not GTh 102. Is this so
      > and what of the synoptic "woes" - do they correspond to the Qumran curses
      > or no? Just curious...

      It didn't occur to me that anyone might take what I said in this way. What
      I meant was that the Coptic word in logion 7, which is translated by some
      as 'cursed', is 'BHT' <bait>, and that it does not occur elsewhere in
      GThom. But there are other Coptic words with similar meanings that are used
      elsewhere. 'OUOEI' ('woe') is used in 102 ("woe to the Pharisees") and in
      112 ("woe to the flesh that depends on the soul; woe to the soul that
      depends on the flesh") - the latter quite relevant to our discussion of
      body vs soul in logion 7.

      In "The Five Gospels", Funk, Hoover, and the Jesus Seminar translate
      'OUOEI' as 'damn' in 102 and 112 (e.g., "Damn the Pharisees!"), whereas
      they translate 'BHT' in #7 as 'foul' ("foul is the human that the lion will
      eat"), which sounds better to me now than Lambdin's 'cursed', which I
      originally followed.