[gthomas] Re: The Pancrator in 77a

  • sdavies@miseri.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 1999
      > Steve Davies:
      > >...77a is arguably the most anciently attested of all the Thomas
      > >sayings, fitting as it does with that host of pre-gospel "Jesus
      > >the Pantocrator" material, albeit first-person and not third-person.
      >
      > Interesting, then, that 77a doesn't seem to fit with the rest. 77b&c
      (which
      > are of a piece) are in the POxy fragments, but not in the same place
      - and
      > 77a isn't with them. The "pre-Gospel" Pantocrator material you
      specified
      > in another note (other than the GJohn stuff) comes from Paul and the
      > unknown author of "Hebrews" (Barnabas?). So, although this type of
      material
      > is early, it appears to have been unknown to the original authors of
      GThom.
      > Or would you disagree?
      >
      > Mike

      Nothing after 37 was found at Oxy. 77b/c is attached to saying 30 at Oxy
      evidently because the "I am with him" bit reminded somebody of the
      presence-
      everywhere motif. Later on the "presence-everywhere" motif seemed more
      useful
      commenting on the pantocrator idea of 77a.

      77 reminds me of Wisdom of Solomon 7:21-25

      "I learnt it all, hidden 22 or manifest, for I was taught by he
      whose skill made all things, wisdom. For in wisdom there is a spirit
      intelligent and holy, unique in its kind yet made up of many parts,
      subtle, free-moving, lucid, spotless, clear, 23 invulnerable, loving
      what is good, eager, unhindered, beneficent, kindly towards men,
      steadfast,
      unerring, touched by care, all-powerful, all-surveying, 24 and
      permeating all intelligent, pure, and delicate spirits. For wisdom
      moves more easily than motion itself, she pervades and permeates
      25 all things"

      I guess one of the great Mysteries is how people came to claim that
      Jesus created everything. It has to be because there was an existing
      idea of Wisdom creating everything and then the Son came to be
      identified with Wisdom. The redeemer Son doesn't seem to be Wisdom
      in the Odes, I don't think. But at least there you have them both.

      My guess is that the Odes perspective was what Paul was busy persecuting
      in the churches of Christ in Judea. I wonder where they got the idea
      to use Jesus as a term? Sure caused a lot of confusion, didn't it,
      when that usage led to folks thinking that Jesus Christ and Jesus
      the Wisdomcynic were the same guy. Thanks to Mark, I suppose.

      Steve Davies

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 1999
        At 01:41 PM 07/19/99 -0700, sdavies@... wrote:
        >My guess is that the Odes perspective was what Paul was busy persecuting
        >in the churches of Christ in Judea.

        What? Persecute those dreamy-eyed, spaced-out "Ode-ees"? Nah - they
        wouldn't've been worth the whips to flog 'em with. <g>