[gthomas] Re: Downloadable lexicon

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 1999
      I wish to thank Andrew Bernhard for his suggestion and help in creating an
      Adobe Acrobat (pdf) version of the lexicon for my interlinear translation.
      (This replaces my earlier announced Excel spreadsheet.) Andrew actually did
      most of the work, since I have no software for creating pdf files. The
      Acrobat version of the lexicon differs from the original gif images in
      allowing searches and in having a better print quality, but the reader
      still has to have the appropriate font (coptic2.ttf) - which is, however,
      free for the asking on my fonts page.

      Those of us who run websites are aware of a certain trade-off in the
      representation of non-English fonts. The advantage of images (gif or jpg)
      is that they don't require the reader to do anything in order to view them,
      and they can be presented with a pleasing background. On the other hand,
      they print rather poorly, and they can't be searched or cut-and-pasted. So
      in the absence of a better solution at the present time, I'll probably
      increasingly offer Acrobat files as an alternative to images, with the
      understanding that they require both the Acrobat Reader and the appropriate
      font (both free, and easily downloadable).

      Mike

      The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 1999
        A remarkable site on the Cambridge scholar H. B. Swete will be of
        interest to many. It features two of his (three) articles on the
        Oxyrhynchus papyri of Thom. and it is particularly interesting looking
        at a pre-Nag Hammadi view of them. The site is at:

        http://www.meetingpoint.org/swete/index.htm

        But the best place to begin for interest in POxy is:

        http://www.meetingpoint.org/swete/poxy.htm

        Mark
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        The New Testament Gateway
        Mark Without Q