[gthomas] Downloadable lexicon

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 1999
      I've added the capability to download the GThom lexicon contained on my
      website. This was originally set up as a series of gif files to be viewed
      or printed, and is still available as such, but downloading the file allows
      the user to edit or manipulate it, as well as to obtain a better print
      quality.

      It should be noted that this lexicon is not intended to be a Coptic
      dictionary; rather, it contains just the terms that I've used to translate
      GThom.

      The download is available at the URL below. It's an Excel 5.0 file using
      coptic2.ttf (the standard font for my site). Please let me know if there
      are any problems using this function.

      Mike

      The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 1999
        I wish to thank Andrew Bernhard for his suggestion and help in creating an
        Adobe Acrobat (pdf) version of the lexicon for my interlinear translation.
        (This replaces my earlier announced Excel spreadsheet.) Andrew actually did
        most of the work, since I have no software for creating pdf files. The
        Acrobat version of the lexicon differs from the original gif images in
        allowing searches and in having a better print quality, but the reader
        still has to have the appropriate font (coptic2.ttf) - which is, however,
        free for the asking on my fonts page.

        Those of us who run websites are aware of a certain trade-off in the
        representation of non-English fonts. The advantage of images (gif or jpg)
        is that they don't require the reader to do anything in order to view them,
        and they can be presented with a pleasing background. On the other hand,
        they print rather poorly, and they can't be searched or cut-and-pasted. So
        in the absence of a better solution at the present time, I'll probably
        increasingly offer Acrobat files as an alternative to images, with the
        understanding that they require both the Acrobat Reader and the appropriate
        font (both free, and easily downloadable).

        Mike

        The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 1999
          A remarkable site on the Cambridge scholar H. B. Swete will be of
          interest to many. It features two of his (three) articles on the
          Oxyrhynchus papyri of Thom. and it is particularly interesting looking
          at a pre-Nag Hammadi view of them. The site is at:

          http://www.meetingpoint.org/swete/index.htm

          But the best place to begin for interest in POxy is:

          http://www.meetingpoint.org/swete/poxy.htm

          Mark
          Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
          Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

          http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
          The New Testament Gateway
          Mark Without Q