[gthomas] Re: SQE, 15th edition (yet again!)

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 1999
      On 16 Jun 99, at 17:47, mgrondin@... wrote:

      > > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.
      >
      > Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire
      > site seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I
      > had a question as to whether there might be both a German and an English
      > version - in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

      No -- it is one edition with introductions in both German and English. Each
      pericope has headings in both languages, as in Huck-Greeven. In the Thomas
      appendix there are three columns: Coptic Thomas, German translation and
      English translation. Oxyrhynchus and the "retranslations" are at the bottom of
      the page. As I have mentioned before, the most frustrating thing is the size of
      the fonts -- far too small. I am sure Peter Head will not mind my quoting from a
      message he wrote on this topic to Synoptic-L:

      > Mark Goodacre asked:
      > Why, I wonder, do they (UBS who produced the new Synopsis
      > Quattuor Evangeliorum) think
      > that people interested in the Gospel of Thomas have better
      > eyesight than those interested
      > only in the synoptics?
      >
      > The answer is there for those with eyes to see:
      >
      > 1. GT contains "secret sayings" (#1) (hence the very small type).
      > 2. Those who "know what is before their face will have that which is
      > hidden revealed to them" (#5). (hence it only becomes clear to
      > insiders).
      > 3. Jesus said "I shall give you what no eye has seen" (#17) (small print
      > makes new revelation necessary). 4. "There is light within a man of light"
      > (#24) (hence articifical illumination of the text is unnecessary).

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      New Testament Web Resources
      Mark Without Q