[gthomas] Re: SQE, 15th edition (yet again!)

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16 8:35 AM
      On 16 Jun 99, at 15:05, Mark Goodacre wrote:

      > I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the
      > reference -- Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can
      > order on-line. The address for new books (including the relevant volume)
      > is:
      >
      > http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

      Actually it is the 14th ed. --- sorry! Here is my last attempt to find the book on-
      line and this time it is definitely successful:

      http://www.bibelgesellschaft.de/article/article.phtml?BID=14107&identifier=id&identvalue=319&identtype=n

      If in doubt, go to the publisher I say. I should have done that at first.

      Mark
      --------------------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      New Testament Web Resources
      Mark Without Q
      Aseneth Home Page

    • mgrondin@tir.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16 10:47 AM
        > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.

        Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire site
        seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I had a
        question as to whether there might be both a German and an English version -
        in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17 4:37 AM
          On 16 Jun 99, at 17:47, mgrondin@... wrote:

          > > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.
          >
          > Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire
          > site seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I
          > had a question as to whether there might be both a German and an English
          > version - in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

          No -- it is one edition with introductions in both German and English. Each
          pericope has headings in both languages, as in Huck-Greeven. In the Thomas
          appendix there are three columns: Coptic Thomas, German translation and
          English translation. Oxyrhynchus and the "retranslations" are at the bottom of
          the page. As I have mentioned before, the most frustrating thing is the size of
          the fonts -- far too small. I am sure Peter Head will not mind my quoting from a
          message he wrote on this topic to Synoptic-L:

          > Mark Goodacre asked:
          > Why, I wonder, do they (UBS who produced the new Synopsis
          > Quattuor Evangeliorum) think
          > that people interested in the Gospel of Thomas have better
          > eyesight than those interested
          > only in the synoptics?
          >
          > The answer is there for those with eyes to see:
          >
          > 1. GT contains "secret sayings" (#1) (hence the very small type).
          > 2. Those who "know what is before their face will have that which is
          > hidden revealed to them" (#5). (hence it only becomes clear to
          > insiders).
          > 3. Jesus said "I shall give you what no eye has seen" (#17) (small print
          > makes new revelation necessary). 4. "There is light within a man of light"
          > (#24) (hence articifical illumination of the text is unnecessary).

          Mark