[gthomas] Re: SQE, 15th edition (again)

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
      I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the reference --
      Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can order on-line.
      The address for new books (including the relevant volume) is:

      http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

      Mark
      --------------------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      New Testament Web Resources
      Mark Without Q
      Aseneth Home Page

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
        On 16 Jun 99, at 15:05, Mark Goodacre wrote:

        > I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the
        > reference -- Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can
        > order on-line. The address for new books (including the relevant volume)
        > is:
        >
        > http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

        Actually it is the 14th ed. --- sorry! Here is my last attempt to find the book on-
        line and this time it is definitely successful:

        http://www.bibelgesellschaft.de/article/article.phtml?BID=14107&identifier=id&identvalue=319&identtype=n

        If in doubt, go to the publisher I say. I should have done that at first.

        Mark
        --------------------------------------

      • mgrondin@tir.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
          > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.

          Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire site
          seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I had a
          question as to whether there might be both a German and an English version -
          in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

        • Mark Goodacre
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 1999
            On 16 Jun 99, at 17:47, mgrondin@... wrote:

            > > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.
            >
            > Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire
            > site seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I
            > had a question as to whether there might be both a German and an English
            > version - in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

            No -- it is one edition with introductions in both German and English. Each
            pericope has headings in both languages, as in Huck-Greeven. In the Thomas
            appendix there are three columns: Coptic Thomas, German translation and
            English translation. Oxyrhynchus and the "retranslations" are at the bottom of
            the page. As I have mentioned before, the most frustrating thing is the size of
            the fonts -- far too small. I am sure Peter Head will not mind my quoting from a
            message he wrote on this topic to Synoptic-L:

            > Mark Goodacre asked:
            > Why, I wonder, do they (UBS who produced the new Synopsis
            > Quattuor Evangeliorum) think
            > that people interested in the Gospel of Thomas have better
            > eyesight than those interested
            > only in the synoptics?
            >
            > The answer is there for those with eyes to see:
            >
            > 1. GT contains "secret sayings" (#1) (hence the very small type).
            > 2. Those who "know what is before their face will have that which is
            > hidden revealed to them" (#5). (hence it only becomes clear to
            > insiders).
            > 3. Jesus said "I shall give you what no eye has seen" (#17) (small print
            > makes new revelation necessary). 4. "There is light within a man of light"
            > (#24) (hence articifical illumination of the text is unnecessary).

            Mark