[gthomas] Re: SQE, 15th edition

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
      On 15 Jun 99, at 8:55, Mike Grondin wrote:

      > Sometime back, Mark Goodacre mentioned the 15th edition of the Synopsis
      > Quattuor Evangelorium, which is the first to incorporate the GOT. As of
      > yet, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble still list only the 13th edition. The
      > American Bible Society (americanbible.org) lists the 14th edition. I wrote
      > to them about a week ago, and they replied that they would check on the
      > availability of the 15th edition. So far, no further word. Evidently, "the
      > States" have to wait for this particular publication.

      This is a real shame, since it has been available here for some time. I see that it
      is listed (at least) on the Bible Societys's main catalogue, at the following URL:

      http://www.ubs-translations.org/public/seahft/catalog/synops.html

      But I don't know how straightforward it would be to find it at one of the Bible
      Societies listed. I was lucky enough just to pick my copy of the shelf at a local
      bookshop!

      Mark

      --------------------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      New Testament Web Resources
      Mark Without Q
      Aseneth Home Page

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
        I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the reference --
        Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can order on-line.
        The address for new books (including the relevant volume) is:

        http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

        Mark
        --------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
          On 16 Jun 99, at 15:05, Mark Goodacre wrote:

          > I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the
          > reference -- Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can
          > order on-line. The address for new books (including the relevant volume)
          > is:
          >
          > http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

          Actually it is the 14th ed. --- sorry! Here is my last attempt to find the book on-
          line and this time it is definitely successful:

          http://www.bibelgesellschaft.de/article/article.phtml?BID=14107&identifier=id&identvalue=319&identtype=n

          If in doubt, go to the publisher I say. I should have done that at first.

          Mark
          --------------------------------------

        • mgrondin@tir.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
            > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.

            Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire site
            seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I had a
            question as to whether there might be both a German and an English version -
            in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

          • Mark Goodacre
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 1999
              On 16 Jun 99, at 17:47, mgrondin@... wrote:

              > > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.
              >
              > Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire
              > site seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I
              > had a question as to whether there might be both a German and an English
              > version - in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

              No -- it is one edition with introductions in both German and English. Each
              pericope has headings in both languages, as in Huck-Greeven. In the Thomas
              appendix there are three columns: Coptic Thomas, German translation and
              English translation. Oxyrhynchus and the "retranslations" are at the bottom of
              the page. As I have mentioned before, the most frustrating thing is the size of
              the fonts -- far too small. I am sure Peter Head will not mind my quoting from a
              message he wrote on this topic to Synoptic-L:

              > Mark Goodacre asked:
              > Why, I wonder, do they (UBS who produced the new Synopsis
              > Quattuor Evangeliorum) think
              > that people interested in the Gospel of Thomas have better
              > eyesight than those interested
              > only in the synoptics?
              >
              > The answer is there for those with eyes to see:
              >
              > 1. GT contains "secret sayings" (#1) (hence the very small type).
              > 2. Those who "know what is before their face will have that which is
              > hidden revealed to them" (#5). (hence it only becomes clear to
              > insiders).
              > 3. Jesus said "I shall give you what no eye has seen" (#17) (small print
              > makes new revelation necessary). 4. "There is light within a man of light"
              > (#24) (hence articifical illumination of the text is unnecessary).

              Mark