[gthomas] SQE, 15th edition

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 15, 1999
      Sometime back, Mark Goodacre mentioned the 15th edition of the Synopsis
      Quattuor Evangelorium, which is the first to incorporate the GOT. As of
      yet, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble still list only the 13th edition. The
      American Bible Society (americanbible.org) lists the 14th edition. I wrote
      to them about a week ago, and they replied that they would check on the
      availability of the 15th edition. So far, no further word. Evidently, "the
      States" have to wait for this particular publication.

      Mike
      ------------------------------------
      The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
        On 15 Jun 99, at 8:55, Mike Grondin wrote:

        > Sometime back, Mark Goodacre mentioned the 15th edition of the Synopsis
        > Quattuor Evangelorium, which is the first to incorporate the GOT. As of
        > yet, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble still list only the 13th edition. The
        > American Bible Society (americanbible.org) lists the 14th edition. I wrote
        > to them about a week ago, and they replied that they would check on the
        > availability of the 15th edition. So far, no further word. Evidently, "the
        > States" have to wait for this particular publication.

        This is a real shame, since it has been available here for some time. I see that it
        is listed (at least) on the Bible Societys's main catalogue, at the following URL:

        http://www.ubs-translations.org/public/seahft/catalog/synops.html

        But I don't know how straightforward it would be to find it at one of the Bible
        Societies listed. I was lucky enough just to pick my copy of the shelf at a local
        bookshop!

        Mark

        --------------------------------------
        Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

        http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
        New Testament Web Resources
        Mark Without Q
        Aseneth Home Page

      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
          I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the reference --
          Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can order on-line.
          The address for new books (including the relevant volume) is:

          http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

          Mark
          --------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
            On 16 Jun 99, at 15:05, Mark Goodacre wrote:

            > I knew that I had seen it recently for sale and I have dug out the
            > reference -- Lund Theological Books, based in Cambridge, UK. One can
            > order on-line. The address for new books (including the relevant volume)
            > is:
            >
            > http://www.lundboox.demon.co.uk/books/B_new.html

            Actually it is the 14th ed. --- sorry! Here is my last attempt to find the book on-
            line and this time it is definitely successful:

            http://www.bibelgesellschaft.de/article/article.phtml?BID=14107&identifier=id&identvalue=319&identtype=n

            If in doubt, go to the publisher I say. I should have done that at first.

            Mark
            --------------------------------------

          • mgrondin@tir.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 16, 1999
              > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.

              Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire site
              seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I had a
              question as to whether there might be both a German and an English version -
              in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

            • Mark Goodacre
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17, 1999
                On 16 Jun 99, at 17:47, mgrondin@... wrote:

                > > If in doubt, go to the publisher I say.
                >
                > Agreed, Mark - and I went there too in my original search, but the entire
                > site seems to be in German, which some of us don't know. In addition, I
                > had a question as to whether there might be both a German and an English
                > version - in which case I might inadvertently be ordering the wrong one.

                No -- it is one edition with introductions in both German and English. Each
                pericope has headings in both languages, as in Huck-Greeven. In the Thomas
                appendix there are three columns: Coptic Thomas, German translation and
                English translation. Oxyrhynchus and the "retranslations" are at the bottom of
                the page. As I have mentioned before, the most frustrating thing is the size of
                the fonts -- far too small. I am sure Peter Head will not mind my quoting from a
                message he wrote on this topic to Synoptic-L:

                > Mark Goodacre asked:
                > Why, I wonder, do they (UBS who produced the new Synopsis
                > Quattuor Evangeliorum) think
                > that people interested in the Gospel of Thomas have better
                > eyesight than those interested
                > only in the synoptics?
                >
                > The answer is there for those with eyes to see:
                >
                > 1. GT contains "secret sayings" (#1) (hence the very small type).
                > 2. Those who "know what is before their face will have that which is
                > hidden revealed to them" (#5). (hence it only becomes clear to
                > insiders).
                > 3. Jesus said "I shall give you what no eye has seen" (#17) (small print
                > makes new revelation necessary). 4. "There is light within a man of light"
                > (#24) (hence articifical illumination of the text is unnecessary).

                Mark