[gthomas] Why the Flock?

  • Tord Svenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 1999
      http://www.kencollins.com/Question-04.htm

      Here is a quote from Ken Collins on the GOT. In one of these Gospels there
      is a passage where Mary tells the teen-aged Jesus about his friends --
      "I'll bet that if they all jumped on a sheep you would jump on with them."
      --or something like that. Could it be that we are using the GOT to justify
      jumping sheep --or whatever New Age practices are popular these days?

      What reason would you give for the interest in the GOT?
      Tord

      ----Quote ----------
      For example, Bishop Eusebius Pamphilus of Caesarea wrote a History of the
      Church that was
      published in AD 325, in which he reported that the church regarded the
      Gospel of Thomas as a
      heretical work. However, the actual text of the Gospel of Thomas was lost
      and only recently
      discovered. We can now verify that the church was entirely consistent in
      rejecting the Gospel of
      Thomas. Some people have made a big hullabaloo about the Gospel of Thomas,
      which mystifies
      me. Why don�t they get equally excited about, say, the Acts of Paul and
      Thecla, which was also
      rejected by the early church? The only reason I can think for this uneven
      treatment is that the Acts of
      Paul and Thecla was with us all along and the Gospel of Thomas has the
      mystical aura of having
      been lost for centuries and only recently being rediscovered. Of course,
      another reason could be that
      the Acts of Paul and Thecla teach sexual abstinence, even in marriage,
      while the Gospel of
      Thomas is conducive to the modern New Age mindset.