[gthomas] Re: Canonical vs Noncanonical GThom Sayings

  • Tord Svenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 1999
      At 04:01 PM 6/13/99 -0400, Steve Allison wrote:
      >Has anyone performed a comparison of the sayings in Thomas having canonical
      >parallels and the sayings from other sources? Any patterns noted?
      >
      >Steve Allison
      -------- Reply ------------
      Sure --the Lambdin translation has the following ---

      IV: Canonical Comparisons of Thomas Sayings
      I have grouped the sayings in the Gospel of Thomas into 5 categories.
      Sayings that are variants of or close parallels to canonical passages (22
      of these), sayings that appear more remotely parallel or similar in some
      way (28), sayings which contain parts parallel to several unconnected
      passages (13), sayings parallel to non-canonical traditions of Jesus (only
      1 of these), and those with no apparent parallels (50!!).
      Due to space limitations, I have decided only to cite passages, and you can
      go through and compare them using any Bible. I haven't attempted to make
      any comparisons to the various Apocryphal or other Christian and Gnostic
      texts.

      A: Variants/Close Parallels
      9: Mt13:3-8, Mk4:3-8, Lk8:5-8
      10: Lk12:49
      16: Mt10:34-36, Lk12:51-53
      20: Mt13:31-32, Mk4:30-32, Lk13:18-19
      26: Mt7:3-5, Lk6:41-42
      34: Mt15:14, Lk6:39
      35: Mt12:29, Mk3:27, Lk11:21-22
      41: Mt25:29, Lk19:26
      45: Mt7:16-20, Lk6:43-46
      46: Mt11:11, Lk7:28
      54: Mt5:3, Lk6:20
      64: Mt22:3-9, Lk14:16-24
      65: Mt21:33-39, Mk12:1-8, Lk20:9-15
      66: Mt21:42, Mk12:10, Lk20:17; Psalm118:22
      73: Mt9:37-38, Lk10:2
      86: Mt8:20, Lk9:58
      89: Lk11:39-40
      93: Mt7:6
      94: Mt7:7-8, Lk11:9-10
      100: Mk12:13-17, Lk20:22-25
      103: Mt24:43, Lk12:39
      107: Mt18:12-13, Lk15:3-7

      B: Remote Parallels
      1: Jn8:51
      3: Lk17:21
      5: Mt10:26, Lk10:2
      8: Mt13:47-48
      17: 1Cor2:9; Isiah64:4
      30: Mt18:20
      31: Mk6:4, Lk4:23-24, Jn4:44
      32: Mt5:14
      36: Mt6:25, Lk12:22
      40: Mt15:13
      44: Mt12:32, Mk3:28-29, Lk12:10
      48: Mt18:19, Mk11:23-24
      57: Mt13:24-30
      58: Mt11:28
      59: Jn7:34, Jn13:33
      63: Lk12:16-21
      68: Mt5:11, Lk6:22
      71: Mk14:58
      72: Lk12:13-15
      75: Mt22:14
      78: Mt11:7-9, Lk7:24-26
      90: Mt11:28-30
      95: Lk6:34-35, Lk14:12-14
      96: Mt13:33, Lk13:20-21
      99: Mt12:46-50, Mk3:31-35
      101: Mt10:37, Lk14:26
      109: Mt13:44
      113: Lk17:20-21

      C: Multiple Parallels
      14a: no parallels
      14b: Lk10:8-9
      14c: Mt15:11, Mk7:15
      21a: no parallels
      21b: Mt24:43, Lk12:39
      21c: Mk4:26-29
      22a: Mt18:3, Lk18:17
      22b: Mt5:29-30, Mk9:43-48
      24a: Jn13:36
      24b: Mt6:22-23, Lk11:34-36
      33a: Mt10:27
      33b: Mt5:15, Mk4:21, Lk8:16, Lk11:33
      39a: Lk11:52
      39b: Mt10:16
      43a: Jn8:25
      43b: Mt7:16-20, Lk6:43-46(?)
      55a: Lk14:26
      55b: Mt10:37
      62a: Mt13:11, Mk4:11, Lk8:10
      62b: Mt6:3
      69a: Mt5:8 (cf. Thomas saying 68)
      69b: Mt5:6, Lk6:21
      76a: Mt13:45-46
      76b: Mt6:20, Lk12:33
      79a: Lk11:27-28
      79b: Lk23:29
      91a: Jn9:36
      91b: Lk12:54-56

      D: Non-Canonical Parallels
      42: Some stands of Islamic tradition attribute this saying to Jesus.
      E: No Parallels
      All the following sayings have no parallels in the Bible or other
      non-Gnostic traditions:
      2 23 51 77 98
      4 25 52 80 102
      6 27 53 81 104