[gthomas] Re: TWICE BORN ...

  • Stevan Davies
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 1999

      > I'd like to ask the skeptics how they interpret the phrase
      > >"Among those born of women, from Adam until John the Baptist." Does it not
      > >imply that in other eras people are born in other ways (such as from the
      > >earth)?
      >
      > Clearly not. This is not some kind of mental game.
      > Being born in another way
      > means being born of the spirit.

      Opposition: Born of Women
      Become a Child

      Simple logic would lead one to think that this opposes Born of Women
      with Not-Born of Women = Become a Child but not via Women. So that
      would be to be born again, which as we all know was a Christian trope
      back then. Paul has both become babes and become Sons, the latter
      (as with John) through the Spirit.

      Thomas has "babe of seven days" (cf. Genesis 1, Mike) for this reborn
      person.

      The only trouble is getting the Spirit back into Jesus' time. John
      Paul are talking about being reborn via Spirit. But was Jesus? Far
      as I know IF Jesus spoke about people besides himself getting the
      spirit it was as a future occurance and never something actually
      happening during his lifetime.

      Interestingly, it surely must follow from any of the above that Jesus
      would say of Himself "I am a little child."

      When Thomas 3 speaks of becoming Sons it's in reference to discovery
      what you already are, not becoming something new. But 46 you
      become something new.

      Steve