[gthomas] anecdotal reports

  • Roger Banks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 1999
      Hi!

      Since things seem to be a little slow, I'll take this opportunity to ask a
      lengthy question.

      How has learning about the Gospel of Thomas and other non-traditional texts
      affected you and your spiritual journeys.

      I must honestly admit, I feel that my eyes have been opened about religion
      for the first time. I am excited about my spirituality for the first time.
      As I do more research into such texts, my excitement grows.

      I was wondering if anyone else feels or has felt this way. Just curious.

      Roger Banks
      rbanks@...

    • Tord Svenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 1999
        At 03:17 PM 6/14/99 -0400, Roger Banks wrote:
        >Hi!
        >
        >Since things seem to be a little slow, I'll take this opportunity to ask a
        >lengthy question.
        >
        >How has learning about the Gospel of Thomas and other non-traditional texts
        >affected you and your spiritual journeys.
        >
        >I must honestly admit, I feel that my eyes have been opened about religion
        >for the first time. I am excited about my spirituality for the first time.
        > As I do more research into such texts, my excitement grows.
        >
        >I was wondering if anyone else feels or has felt this way. Just curious.

        ------- Reply -----------
        The sister list to this list -- the GOT list --- was formed to deal with
        these questions. They are of a personal nature and have little or nothing
        to do with a scholar's approach. Since we don't know who said what
        --whether there even was a Jesus -- or if the GOT was written by several
        people and or redacted to suit the Gnostic audience it was apparently
        intended for --falling in love with it seems a bit like falling in love
        with a Hollywood creation like "Star Wars".

        I feel very strongly attracted emotionally to the GOT because it helps make
        me feel that this "Jesus" was not a pie-in-the -sky superman who performed
        miracles and was never really human at all. Many of the GOT sayings make
        sense to me in terms of Plato and Asian teachers who arguably said much the
        same thing.

        i use the GOT frequently on a UU discussion list I subscribe to. Here is an
        example from today
        -------------------
        >The thread -- "The Worst Idea" (of the past century) drew some interesting
        I was a Junior at UMass Amherst.
        >What RAND told us back then is my candidate for the worst idea of this
        century. RAND said that much of society's technical development the world
        over would serve to increase the ruling class' power over the >individual.
        ----snip -------
        >Medical science has provided the means to increase life expectancy and to
        cure disease beyond he imagination of the previous one hundred years --but
        it has also provided a system of chemical restraints that can be used to
        control -- and the research and development is always in the direction of
        suppression of unwanted behaviors and thoughts.

        >At the beginning of the first millennium Jesus had a simple analysis of
        the reason for our existence ---
        >------------------
        >2) Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When
        he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be
        astonished, and he will rule over the All."
        >---------------------
        >At the end of the second millennium anyone who is troubled is treated with
        tranquilizers or anti-depressants. If the trouble is deemed significant,
        the person is subject to chemical restraints or incarceration.

        >The research and development of technology to control human thought and
        behavior ranks as my candidate for the worst idea of the last century.
        >Tord
        --------------------
        So -- there is a "practical" use of the GOT :-)

        As far as the "meaning" of the sayings go -- that was meant to be personal
        and if the mind or minds that created the GOT succeed in getting anyone to
        think about the meaning(s) --then their time was not wasted. I asked the
        GOT-list a question that was not answered. Roger --perhaps you can answer
        it --- here it is in it's context
        ------------------
        >I take your question very seriously. It is a Zen koan --case XXXVI in the
        Mumonkan. "Goso said-- 'When you meet a man of the Way on the way, do not
        greet him with words, do not greet him with silence; tell me how will you
        greet him?' " -- that is why I put Jesus' GOT koan to the list -- "What
        will you do?"
        >"When you come to dwell in the light, what will you do? On the day when
        you were one you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"
        >One of these Jesuses had a good answer for this GOT Jesus' question --does
        anyone know it ??? :-)
        Tord