[gthomas] Canonical vs Noncanonical GThom Sayings

  • Steve Allison
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 1999
      Has anyone performed a comparison of the sayings in Thomas having canonical
      parallels and the sayings from other sources? Any patterns noted?

      Steve Allison

    • Tord Svenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 1999
        At 04:01 PM 6/13/99 -0400, Steve Allison wrote:
        >Has anyone performed a comparison of the sayings in Thomas having canonical
        >parallels and the sayings from other sources? Any patterns noted?
        >
        >Steve Allison
        -------- Reply ------------
        Sure --the Lambdin translation has the following ---

        IV: Canonical Comparisons of Thomas Sayings
        I have grouped the sayings in the Gospel of Thomas into 5 categories.
        Sayings that are variants of or close parallels to canonical passages (22
        of these), sayings that appear more remotely parallel or similar in some
        way (28), sayings which contain parts parallel to several unconnected
        passages (13), sayings parallel to non-canonical traditions of Jesus (only
        1 of these), and those with no apparent parallels (50!!).
        Due to space limitations, I have decided only to cite passages, and you can
        go through and compare them using any Bible. I haven't attempted to make
        any comparisons to the various Apocryphal or other Christian and Gnostic
        texts.

        A: Variants/Close Parallels
        9: Mt13:3-8, Mk4:3-8, Lk8:5-8
        10: Lk12:49
        16: Mt10:34-36, Lk12:51-53
        20: Mt13:31-32, Mk4:30-32, Lk13:18-19
        26: Mt7:3-5, Lk6:41-42
        34: Mt15:14, Lk6:39
        35: Mt12:29, Mk3:27, Lk11:21-22
        41: Mt25:29, Lk19:26
        45: Mt7:16-20, Lk6:43-46
        46: Mt11:11, Lk7:28
        54: Mt5:3, Lk6:20
        64: Mt22:3-9, Lk14:16-24
        65: Mt21:33-39, Mk12:1-8, Lk20:9-15
        66: Mt21:42, Mk12:10, Lk20:17; Psalm118:22
        73: Mt9:37-38, Lk10:2
        86: Mt8:20, Lk9:58
        89: Lk11:39-40
        93: Mt7:6
        94: Mt7:7-8, Lk11:9-10
        100: Mk12:13-17, Lk20:22-25
        103: Mt24:43, Lk12:39
        107: Mt18:12-13, Lk15:3-7

        B: Remote Parallels
        1: Jn8:51
        3: Lk17:21
        5: Mt10:26, Lk10:2
        8: Mt13:47-48
        17: 1Cor2:9; Isiah64:4
        30: Mt18:20
        31: Mk6:4, Lk4:23-24, Jn4:44
        32: Mt5:14
        36: Mt6:25, Lk12:22
        40: Mt15:13
        44: Mt12:32, Mk3:28-29, Lk12:10
        48: Mt18:19, Mk11:23-24
        57: Mt13:24-30
        58: Mt11:28
        59: Jn7:34, Jn13:33
        63: Lk12:16-21
        68: Mt5:11, Lk6:22
        71: Mk14:58
        72: Lk12:13-15
        75: Mt22:14
        78: Mt11:7-9, Lk7:24-26
        90: Mt11:28-30
        95: Lk6:34-35, Lk14:12-14
        96: Mt13:33, Lk13:20-21
        99: Mt12:46-50, Mk3:31-35
        101: Mt10:37, Lk14:26
        109: Mt13:44
        113: Lk17:20-21

        C: Multiple Parallels
        14a: no parallels
        14b: Lk10:8-9
        14c: Mt15:11, Mk7:15
        21a: no parallels
        21b: Mt24:43, Lk12:39
        21c: Mk4:26-29
        22a: Mt18:3, Lk18:17
        22b: Mt5:29-30, Mk9:43-48
        24a: Jn13:36
        24b: Mt6:22-23, Lk11:34-36
        33a: Mt10:27
        33b: Mt5:15, Mk4:21, Lk8:16, Lk11:33
        39a: Lk11:52
        39b: Mt10:16
        43a: Jn8:25
        43b: Mt7:16-20, Lk6:43-46(?)
        55a: Lk14:26
        55b: Mt10:37
        62a: Mt13:11, Mk4:11, Lk8:10
        62b: Mt6:3
        69a: Mt5:8 (cf. Thomas saying 68)
        69b: Mt5:6, Lk6:21
        76a: Mt13:45-46
        76b: Mt6:20, Lk12:33
        79a: Lk11:27-28
        79b: Lk23:29
        91a: Jn9:36
        91b: Lk12:54-56

        D: Non-Canonical Parallels
        42: Some stands of Islamic tradition attribute this saying to Jesus.
        E: No Parallels
        All the following sayings have no parallels in the Bible or other
        non-Gnostic traditions:
        2 23 51 77 98
        4 25 52 80 102
        6 27 53 81 104