[gthomas] Re: Pairs Project

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 1999
      At 10:34 AM 06/05/99 -0500, Stevan Davies wrote:
      >Mike wrote:
      >> I'd like to get a list of pairs of sayings or sayings-parts for inclusion
      >> on my website. (For example, 6A and 14 would count as one pair).
      >
      >Now wait a minute. Let's be careful here. What is it that counts as
      >pairs? There's some obvious relationship between 6A and 14, but they
      >are not "the same saying showing up twice in somewhat different
      >forms" by any stretch.

      Right. Part of what I'm trying to do is to categorize. At the outset, we
      can distinguish "type A" and "type B" pairings, or - more suggestively -
      "married pairs" and "twin pairs" (or perhaps "couples" and "twins"). 6A and
      14 would count as a "married pair". "The same saying twice" would count as
      a "twin pair". The list you mention is a good starting point, but I'd be
      somewhat disappointed if that's all there are. Also, I thought there might
      be triads and quadrads(?), e.g. seeking and finding.