[gthomas] Pairs Project

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 1999
      I'd like to get a list of pairs of sayings or sayings-parts for inclusion
      on my website. (For example, 6A and 14 would count as one pair). In
      particular, I want to get a good idea of how many pairs there are, and to
      see whether that number might be significant. I believe Steve's book would
      be a source for this, and perhaps there are other sources, but I'd also be
      interested in lists that individual group members can come up with.

      Mike
      ------------------------------------
      The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 1999
        At 10:34 AM 06/05/99 -0500, Stevan Davies wrote:
        >Mike wrote:
        >> I'd like to get a list of pairs of sayings or sayings-parts for inclusion
        >> on my website. (For example, 6A and 14 would count as one pair).
        >
        >Now wait a minute. Let's be careful here. What is it that counts as
        >pairs? There's some obvious relationship between 6A and 14, but they
        >are not "the same saying showing up twice in somewhat different
        >forms" by any stretch.

        Right. Part of what I'm trying to do is to categorize. At the outset, we
        can distinguish "type A" and "type B" pairings, or - more suggestively -
        "married pairs" and "twin pairs" (or perhaps "couples" and "twins"). 6A and
        14 would count as a "married pair". "The same saying twice" would count as
        a "twin pair". The list you mention is a good starting point, but I'd be
        somewhat disappointed if that's all there are. Also, I thought there might
        be triads and quadrads(?), e.g. seeking and finding.

      • Stevan Davies
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 1999
          Mike wrote:
          > I'd like to get a list of pairs of sayings or sayings-parts for inclusion
          > on my website. (For example, 6A and 14 would count as one pair).

          Now wait a minute. Let's be careful here. What is it that counts as
          pairs? There's some obvious relationship between 6A and 14, but they
          are not "the same saying showing up twice in somewhat different
          forms" by any stretch.

          > In
          > particular, I want to get a good idea of how many pairs there are, and to
          > see whether that number might be significant. I believe Steve's book would
          > be a source for this, and perhaps there are other sources, but I'd also be
          > interested in lists that individual group members can come up with.

          I heard a talk on this at the SBL probably by John Aesgirrsen. He
          emphasized the fact that it is by no means clear what pairs are and
          aren't and that different people have different lists and who knows
          what all else. But at the time I jotted down his list, and here goes.

          38//92
          21b//103
          48//106
          22c//106a